Fly Tying

What’s cooking

Looks great but no boiled peanuts?  What the heck?  

As for your mater sandwiches, I agree with you and Guy Clark, but don't forget cucumber sandwiches, on white bread with mayo and Lawry's seasoning.

This is the best I can do right now: Thanksgiving's New England clam chowder, ready to come together.   

trashed-1672231342-IMG20221123185605.jpg

I make it twice a year: Thanksgiving, and its my daughter's annual birthday request.      

I know it's out of season but here are a couple of photos from this summer at the smoker.  I don't use my smoker a lot, say 4-6 times per season because when I do it's and all day affair and very labor intensive.  I smoke meat the old fashion way with a hard wood fire, in my opinion you get a better result than you do with pellet/electric or propane smokers.  The down side is that there is no "set - forget- go fishing" with wood.  It requires constant monitoring to keep the temp correct or very bad things will happen.   I started these 4 briskets below at 3AM and they smoked for 12 hours using apple wood.   An early day and a long time to spend adjusting fire size and airflow,  I'm usually pretty beat by the time we eat.  If I get it right he meat will cut like butter so the effort is worth it- 

2.jpg.60751fedfe847dcdf1569ea88797b043.jpg

I live on family land and on most Sundays after church we have both daughters, both son in laws and all the grand kids for the afternoon.  With my wife and I that makes 12 not including another dozen or so of our family who also built on the farm.  They seem to stop over when the wind is blowing towards their house.  😉   

All of my rubs and sauces are made from scratch and I mostly use apple, Cherry and oak because we have it growing on the property.  My wife and daughters generally handle the side dishes.  One of my son in laws is an avid hunter and angler so occasionally we have some game meats as well.

The photo below is of a pork butt for pulled pork, a brisket and some chicken.  Much like fly tying for me BBQ is a labor of love.  I miss summer already!

1.jpg.4a83fab8bedd15c54953f14c49641f77.jpg

I put 10 lbs on just reading this thread! DFoster, I have a traeger but I agree with you on using a real smoker, a pizza oven is on my next to get list but maybe a smoker after that. With that said I have to get on the tread mill for a few hours now.😃

Mike.

20 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Some seriously good food in this thread!

Tom

Oh yeah- I'm hungry!

On 12/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, niveker said:

Looks great but no boiled peanuts?  What the heck?  

As for your mater sandwiches, I agree with you and Guy Clark, but don't forget cucumber sandwiches, on white bread with mayo and Lawry's seasoning.

This is the best I can do right now: Thanksgiving's New England clam chowder, ready to come together.   

trashed-1672231342-IMG20221123185605.jpg

I make it twice a year: Thanksgiving, and its my daughter's annual birthday request.      

As a professional musician I've played a few weddings at Salem Cross inn (I'm sure you know it)  For everyone else they are a colonial era inn famous for spit roasting prime rib on local hard wood.  The cool thing is that their rotisserie is non electric and operates by weights like a cuckoo clock.  Old school, the same way they did it in the colonial days.  

1.jpg.0dee0170141a11e0f2a2fb0b3dbf9df8.jpg

2.jpg.e4f3b12af09786fc395d5994821a12b9.jpg

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Salem Cross Inn

Yes, I know the place well, I used to pick up bar shifts there during the Christmas and wedding seasons.  The oldest authentic, operating roasting jack in the US, so they say, from the 1700's.   Quite a  bit of history there.  They'd make the chowder in big cast iron pots for the special feasts. LOL  

"

11 hours ago, niveker said:

Yes, I know the place well, I used to pick up bar shifts there during the Christmas and wedding seasons.  The oldest authentic, operating roasting jack in the US, so they say, from the 1700's.   Quite a  bit of history there.  They'd make the chowder in big cast iron pots for the special feasts. LOL  

"Roasting Jack"- so that's what that thing is called!  It took a very brilliant mind to conceive of that mechanism.