Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Squeezy

Germany Fishing Opportunities

Morning Gang - Happy Sunday,

Far cry, but wanted to inquire if any knew fishing opportunities around Geilenkirchen, Germany?  I'm heading back over in late January for a month or two (they claim).  Went last year and saw a couple ponds just off base, but believe that was in the Netherlands.  Either way, with such great experience and some members across the pond, thought it'd be worth asking.  Google provided me with this:  https://angelpark-wegberg.de/, which is a bit of a drive.  Appears to be doable with a small fee for non-resident fishing licensing.  

Thanks,

Blaine

You will probably need a visitor fishing license AND a permit to fish the water since much of the water is private.

For most of the waters both, a valid fishing rod licence (Fischereischein) and a fishing permit are required to fish in a particular fishery. The only exception is the coast of the North sea from Niedersachsen, where you don´t need a fishing rod licence or a permit at all.

http://fishinglicence.eu/germany#22_Foreign_visitors

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/germany/lifestyle/sports-leisure/fishing

2.2 Foreign visitors:

Except of the federal state Bremen and Hamburg, foreigners can obtain a fishing rod licence without passing an exam. Information on where to obtain the fishing rod licence can be found here. However, knowledge of German (a translator) is necessary and eventually some phone calls.

I lived in Germany for about a year and looked into fishing. Now this was a few decades ago so things may have changed and my memory of the process has faded. I remember vividly a nightmarish system that caused me to give up and simply not fish while there. You have to take a course, study and then take an exam to get a rod license as they call it. Once you have a rod license you need a permit to fish the different waters you want to fish. I’m foggy on this but I seem to remember it not being as simple as studying and taking a test but you may have had to also join a club that proctored the studying and the test and whom the water permits were issued through. I recall thinking they just didn’t want people fishing there.

what “base” are you going to.

fishing license in germany

Fishing rod licence and permit in Germany - Where to fish? (fishinglicence.eu)

2.2 Foreign visitors:

Except of the federal state Bremen and Hamburg, foreigners can obtain a fishing rod licence without passing an exam. Information on where to obtain the fishing rod licence can be found here. However, knowledge of German (a translator) is necessary and eventually some phone calls.

Before you actually go fishing, make sure you have got a valid fishing permit from the owner for the particular water you want to fish!

Thanks for the comments, and yes SilverCreek and Flytire I found those statements a while ago too.  @Poopdeck Thanks for that info as well, I may be in the same mindset the way it is looking; "they just don't want people fishing".  We support a mission out of the NATO Air Base just outside Geilenkirchen.  

Just wondering if anyone had actual experience, opposed to the results of a google search.

Mine is actual experience. I also recall that a a visitors license while not requiring one to pass an exam does require an affiliation with a fishing club. Almost all fishing in Germany has to be done through a club. Probably why your not finding much in regards to personal experience. Perhaps the state department can help you out. 

Thanks poopdeck. I’ve reached out to a liaison. Odds of them being an angler… we shall see

I actually have a few customers from Germany and nearby countries... They come over here to fish with me and are pleasantly surprised at the freedom we take for granted...  From what I've heard there's just no such thing as "public waters" for the most part - everything is private and you pay a fee per day for the right to fish a small stretch of a river, etc.  In Germany I've read that they actually have a law that bans "catch and release" - passed by the lunatic fringe - but on the books none the less...

For some years it was also a standard practice to buy their fishing gear here - to take home with them since our prices were much,  much better than theirs at home (and this was for Great Britain and other countries...).  One of my anglers is fortunate enough to fish worldwide about 20 days per year with guides but resides in Luxembourg so I'm all ears whenever he talks about some of the differences between the various countries (and continents...).  Haven't spoken with him since before the pandemic and hope to hear from him in the coming year.. .

We're just so fortunate compared to other places around the world... I was an Army brat growing up and by the age of 12 my family had lived in five different countries... As a result I have a bit different perspective than most about our place in this world.. 

1 hour ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

I actually have a few customers from Germany and nearby countries... They come over here to fish with me and are pleasantly surprised at the freedom we take for granted...  From what I've heard there's just no such thing as "public waters" for the most part - everything is private and you pay a fee per day for the right to fish a small stretch of a river, etc.  In Germany I've read that they actually have a law that bans "catch and release" - passed by the lunatic fringe - but on the books none the less...

Indeed C&R is illegal in Germany. Their logic is that catching fish is torture and the only reason you can cause pain is if you kill and eat the fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_and_release

In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season.

https://flylordsmag.com/one-man-working-bring-catch-release-fishing-iceland/

https://vimeo.com/199440550?embedded=true&source=vimeo_logo&owner=9494776

I used to work with tile setters from Germany building Aldi store for a few months a year.They really did not fish much at home because of all the hoops.They did fish some when working here.Good guys, 2 had already purchased property in FL to retire.They were allowed to work here 3 months out of the year and just loved it here.

Schweibert opened "Nymphs" reminiscing his experience fishing Germany in the 50's, but I think on the opposite side of the country as where you'll be: "The Lauterach is a classic little river. It's winding meadows and willow-lined pools were the laboratory where I first learned to fish nymphs well."