Fly Tying
upnorthtier

broke my vice today

I was tying GP's this morning before going to work

DSC_0020.thumb.JPG.7cc576ddd90aa562b7d7a51e102d1cf8.JPG

AND THIS HAPPENED

1198784186_DSC_0021(1).thumb.JPG.006f21e7e86c18c75606d3f10f9df015.JPG

146138491_DSC_0028(2).thumb.JPG.9edac50889f6c2af897f7c00de68bc34.JPG

Ill soon find out how good regal's warranty is. I never put a hook bigger than a size 4 in this vice, that hook is a size 6. I had this vice for around 10 years and i tie about 5000 to 6000 flies a year. I probably squezed that handle 80 000 times at least. Still it shouldn't break. I hope i can buy another handle if the warranty don't cover it.

At least i have another until this 1 gets fixed.

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.babf347e2878bc4d65456986b480c15e.JPG

I recently used the Regal warranty when I finally chipped the jaws enough to bother me. The vise was originally purchased in 1992. No issues at all and an extremely quick return of a brand new set of jaws.

Complete the warranty claim form they have on their website and send it in, you will have new jaws in no time. 

26 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

Im still trying to figure out how to get that hook out of the jaws. Vicegrips?

pry it open with a screwdiver

7 minutes ago, Chasing_Tails said:

I recently used the Regal warranty when I finally chipped the jaws enough to bother me. The vise was originally purchased in 1992. No issues at all and an extremely quick return of a brand new set of jaws.

Complete the warranty claim form they have on their website and send it in, you will have new jaws in no time. 

Thanks for the info, ill do the claim form and send it in with the hook in the jaw. They can take it out haha

8 minutes ago, flytire said:

pry it open with a screwdiver

I wont use a screwdriver to pry open the jaws, maybe vice grips on the remaining handle section ill do.

I wouldn't recommend a screwdriver, either, as that will likely end up with two broken tools.

If you have a chisel punch and a chunk of wood to lay the jaws on, you should be able to drive the punch in enough to release the hook.

If you're sending it in for repair/replacement ... I'd leave it in there.  As you said, let them take it out AND you won't have any tool marks on the vise indicating misuse.

5 minutes ago, mikechell said:

If you're sending it in for repair/replacement ... I'd leave it in there.  As you said, let them take it out AND you won't have any tool marks on the vise indicating misuse.

Exactly what im thinking and doing

27 minutes ago, mikechell said:

If you're sending it in for repair/replacement ... I'd leave it in there.

I agree, wouldn't want to mark it up and maybe give them a reason to deny the warrantee.  

Regals are convertible from right to left had operation just by loosening that 7/64 Allen screw at the front of the cam - and then swinging the lever handle from one side to the other. I don't know for sure but I bet backing out that screw would also allow you to remove what's left of that handle. You may have to grip and twist it with pliers because it's a tight taper fit to the cam body. Regal probably does not sell that handle as a repair part but if you communicate with them, perhaps they will just send a new handle. 

2 hours ago, Mars Rover said:

Regals are convertible from right to left had operation just by loosening that 7/64 Allen screw at the front of the cam - and then swinging the lever handle from one side to the other. I don't know for sure but I bet backing out that screw would also allow you to remove what's left of that handle. You may have to grip and twist it with pliers because it's a tight taper fit to the cam body. Regal probably does not sell that handle as a repair part but if you communicate with them, perhaps they will just send a new handle. 

I 100% agree-

I'm sorry for you. I've given up drinking, smoking and swearing. I'd hate to lose the womanizing or the fly vise!😄

Seriously, I have a regal and I like it.