Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Odd stuff

A few years back, one of my anglers brought a few small spoon flies with him and I was fairly skeptical about them.  He really scored on redfish with them to my surprise.... See the fifth photo from top for a reference.  His were very plain with just the spoon and the hook and we tied them on without a bite tippet.  Those small flashing flies got hunted down by any redfish that saw them...  They were on #4 hooks and we were in the backcountry of the Everglades during winter when the water is very clear and reds normally quite spooky... 

Anybody interested into making some lil, easy castable and great fluttering effect spoons,  can use plastic Easter eggs.  The key is when cutting them out to leave lil tabs on each end to tie to the hook.  I bend the 3407DT hooks to conform to the curve and thread wrap the hook.  I use Solarez resin but you can prolly do the same with simple clear fingernail polish like SallyHansen.  You can sprinkle glitter dust too.  Add trailers and/or mono weed guards as you want. 

059F1720-9F08-4776-8D5D-48E279620C4F.jpeg

EAEBF64B-DC68-437F-8E77-3EC2C021AEB9.jpeg

01E87260-730B-40AD-BCE8-3F6FB07E67ED.jpeg

The ones my angler used that day were pretty much copies of the Dupre spoon fly - just a simple spoon with no tail or anything other that hook and body - worked like a charm in several different colors... I really like that Easter egg body.  We were using bodies made from mylar tubing with the interior cord removed... The coating  I later used on a few of them I made was FlexCoat since I'm also a rodcrafter whenever I need a rod - I make it...