Fly Tying
partsman

Pale watery dun

Inspired by some absolutely beautiful tying on another website I had to try this pattern. While it is a simple fly like so many others for me the materials are a challenge to deal with. This fly is no exception to my rule, while it will fish I’m now absolutely committed to shoot for something better. The one material that was such a challenge was the body material which is raffia grass. It’s just a challenge for me, I also purchased a hen honey dun neck which is really very nice looking. Anyway I tied this one on size 14 dry fly hook, the thread is ephemera silk in primrose, honey dun for the tail, raffia from dettes fly shop for the body and honey dun for the hackle.

thanks Mike.75576209-3AD4-4ABA-A88E-4577C27F5FB9.thumb.jpeg.bb152710a1ceafe5c9b275f28b6913ce.jpeg

Pretty fly, 

2 hours ago, partsman said:

Inspired by some absolutely beautiful tying on another website

That guy is a true artist with a spool of thread, fur, and feathers.  

Thanks everyone, Gene I used hen honey dun for the tail also. If you don’t have a honey dun neck I think a pale ginger would work quite well. I found the raffia some what of a challenge as my old hands aren’t very steady anymore.

Mike.