Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

What I'm Doing At The Moment

I found a couple of 3 opening shadow box frames recently and thinking a bit I decided to tie the 3 Green Highlander patterns I am aware of with the intention of framing the set.
The 3 patterns are the Pryce-Tannatt, Kelson & Maxwell versions. The one in the vise is the P-T version, with Kelson and Maxwell to follow.
At my regular pace of work this will probably be complete in about a month or so. We shall see.

Anyone else working on a project they'd like to share? I know I'd like to see some.

Cheers,
George

works3.JPG

Yeah, my project is replacing the exhaust pipe on my kid's car, but you probably don't want to see that.

Aand you certainly don't want to hear the soundtrack.  

Really nice tying set-up you’ve got. Can’t wait to see the results of your project. 

My latest project is starting to learn to tie some of these classic salmon flies you fellas have been posting. Been gathering books and materials here and there, practicing some techniques, and making some horrifying chimeras. No pics yet but maybe something this weekend. 

Thanks to you and all the other classic tyers here for getting me started down this road. 👍

I love this idea... the green highlander was the very first classic fly I learned to tie in a class run by Bill Spicer (the new flyfisher). Can't wait to see how things are going!!!

I was trying to find a good photo of Maxwell versions of the fly, but can't seem to find a nice one, if anyone has one, I'd love to see it to compare to the hardy and tannatt versions... 

Can't believe I haven't commented on this George. Glad to see you're tying. Nice project you've embarked on.  I'm sure you'll do your usual fantastic job. My "project" right now is renewing the tiny fly San Juan river boxes.

Sandan - Actually the project is on hold. The frame in the photo is what I have in stock, but the openings are too small for the size 3/0 flies. So either I tie on 1/0's or I find a frame with larger openings to accommodate the hooks I would like to use. I am currently on the hunt...so we shall see. - George

4 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Sandan - Actually the project is on hold. The frame in the photo is what I have in stock, but the openings are too small for the size 3/0 flies. So either I tie on 1/0's or I find a frame with larger openings to accommodate the hooks I would like to use. I am currently on the hunt...so we shall see. - George

Good luck hunting

George, I've been trying to find a good photo of a Hardy style green highlander as a reference, rather than just looking at the recipe.... Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) have a good photo? Would sure appreciate it!

Adam - I'm sorry to say no dice on a photo of that Green Highlander pattern. Never tied it either.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, SalarMan said:

I found a couple of 3 opening shadow box frames recently and thinking a bit I decided to tie the 3 Green Highlander patterns I am aware of with the intention of framing the set.
The 3 patterns are the Pryce-Tannatt, Kelson & Maxwell versions. The one in the vise is the P-T version, with Kelson and Maxwell to follow.
At my regular pace of work this will probably be complete in about a month or so. We shall see.

Anyone else working on a project they'd like to share? I know I'd like to see some.

Cheers,
George

works3.JPG

You have some nice vises, 

Thank you Bruce. A bit of a passion of mine. My other vice (note the spelling - LOL) is good food and fine wine. 🍷🍽️🍾🥂😁

5 hours ago, Adam Gallant said:

George, I've been trying to find a good photo of a Hardy style green highlander as a reference, rather than just looking at the recipe.... Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) have a good photo? Would sure appreciate it!

I continued my research for a photo of that pattern of the GH. The only info I can find that I believe to be totally accurate comes from the "The Classic Salmon and Sea Trout Fly Compendium"  by Gary Crewcock with Dave Carne. One reference to the various versions of the GH says the fly is from Kelson, Hardy & Hale. Based on that a photo of the fly can probably be found by using Google to get images of the fly. It would seem the Kelson pattern and Hardy are one and the same.

Hope this is of some help. Let me know if you learn more.

Thanks George, appreciate that!  I looked at the Hardy literature, "Salmon Fishing", 1907, and that's what I took away as well, it's the same... Maxwell (Fishing at Home and Abroad, 1913) has a more interesting derivation that I'll pursue, 

"The Green Highlander." Tag, silver wire and gold floss; tail, a topping and sprigs of teal; butt, black chenille; body, one fourth yellow pig's wool, remainder myrtle green pig's wool with green hackle over, ribbed with silver tinsel; shoulder hackle blue dyed gallina; wing, strips of mottled brown turkey, bustard, red, yellow and blue-dyed swan, jungle-fowl at cheeks, topping over, blue macaw wings. "

So a bit of a variation, although I don't see it in the "hard to tell" image from the book...

Picture2.png

I just Googled "Kelson Green Highlander Salmon Fly" then clicked on the images of that fly. LOTS (!!!) of pictures showing a variety of styles.

I found an example of the maxwell version I mention above using ChatGPT (Bing Chat) ... the throat of blue gallina really sets it apart, and no tippet under the wing...

3h8062vtrn221.jpg