Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
upnorthtier

any of you know of patterns that call for wolf hair?

Here's the scoop. We hired a new carpenter a few months ago, we worked together in the past. Since he took on taxidermy as a side thing. He asked me if i could tie flies with the scraps, of course i said yes. He brought me 2 full garbage bags full of scraps, all big pieces and tanned (moose, deer, caribou, sheep, bison and a wolf). I would say 50 lbs of fur. To my surprise the wolf is a full pelt and a big one it is. I know i can use it for dubbing , tailing, wings  etc. Im looking for specific patterns that calls for wolf if there is any, i googled and all i found was wulff patterns. 

Im going to give him a fly box full of flies for a thank you, i want some of those flies to have some of that wolf hair. Hence why im asking. 

2132293480_DSC_0021(1).thumb.JPG.d8f176f1827763866bb7da3cd09a3ba9.JPG

Damn, that's pretty.  I can't help you with a specific pattern calling for wolf, though.  I would tell you to just use it in any pattern calling for coyote, fox, etc., but you already know that.  

I don’t know about flies but that would make a bad ass hat with plenty left for a box of flies. Not being the fur police or anything but aren’t wolves protected? 

Prolly can use on any hair wings you could come up with.  Very dark compared to coyote, gray squirrel.

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Not being the fur police or anything but aren’t wolves protected? 

Maybe in the US they are protected. Here in the Yukon canada they are not. Im aloud to harvest 2 a year with a hunting license, no need for tags either, just a small game license.

Could have several hats done up with lots for tying, but it was given in intend of me using it for tying flies and thats what ill do.  

Hopefully members here know of some fly patterns that use wolf. If not ill just do what niveker said.

Thanks chug thats the only fly i saw tied with wolf when i did a search

i tie a lot of hairwing salmon and steelhead flies so it would an interesting substitution for squirrel tail or even gray fox, badger etc

if it has underfur use that as dubbing

be creative. experiment

I

54 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

Thanks chug thats the only fly i saw tied with wolf when i did a search

Yup, no magic other than googling for "wolf fly patterns -wulff"... Surprised not much to speak of came up. There are a good number of patterns out there with bear hair, for instance. Neat stuff, I'd love to see pics of the gift fly set you come up with.

Might reach out to Paul Schmookler? In the '90s he and his wife put out some major books with a lot of fine research and writing on forgotten flies and rare and unusual tying materials.

https://paulschmookler.com/homepage.html

Well i might have done it, i showed the pelt to Melanie/wife/the boss and she loves it. Her response was you're not ****ing tying flies with that wolf.

There have been a couple wolf seasons in Wisconsin and Minnesota relatively recently. Pretty hotly debated topic in these states, but as of 2022 they are back on the endangered list. As far as I'm aware they have met recovery goals in MN and WI.

Sure, tie a Gold Rib Wolf Hair Nymph, or a Wolf Tail Nymph or any wet fly that uses black fur or black fur with silver tips.

Any of the underfur can be used for dubbing. The guard hairs can be used to sub for any similar hair like squirrel or coon etc. Don't be afraid to use it on flies that don't call for "wolf hair" There are no rules really.

Experiment. Have fun. But of course, you already knew all this.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Poopdeck said:

I don’t know about flies but that would make a bad ass hat with plenty left for a box of flies. Not being the fur police or anything but aren’t wolves protected? 

No. wolves are not protected in any way except on ebay. They are on the CITIES list but that's only for if you want to ship them overseas because they are protected in some countries.