Fly Tying
duckydoty

What is this? (A stonefly?)

Was wondering what kind of bug this is? Sorry I dont know to much about identification. An uneducated guess for me would be some sort of stonefly but I could be way off. Any help would be apprectiated.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Duckydoty

Here is a picture I found of a female adult dobsonfly. Only the anteas are different, but the rest looks the same

user posted image

The way the wings look and lay and they a about 2 inches long also.

Duckydoty

duckydoty-

I believe Brewer got it right. You appear to have an adult dobsonfly (or fishfly), probably a female. Both are members of the order, Megaloptera. The antennae on your specimen are quite unusual, and I suspect it may be a key to more detailed identification.

Thanks Toxin. I believe Brewer has it also, Its the antena that throw me off now. I've done about 3 hours of searching on the internet and keep coming up with the same as the picture I posted where the dobson fly is on the leaf.

Duckydoty

I saw one just like the original specimen here in east tenn. on my father -in-laws barn near dusk. His place is within a couple hundred yards of two farm ponds, and a quarter mile from a small creek. Mine had the moth-like antennae too.

AA

I'm pretty sure it's a Lepidoptera Cossus cossus. That is a member of the family off Butterflies. In Holland we call it Wilgehoutvlinder, translated something like Willowwood Butterfly. I've looked it up in an insect guide, and there are more Butterflies with these punky antennae, but in my opinion the Cossus cossus comes closest.

Sjo yahoo.gif

Taxon definitely got the genus. It's Chauliodes. Seems to be a male. I'm not sure if it's Chauliodes pecticornis or Chauliodes rastricornis, though (it is one of those two). Someone brought a C. rastricornis specimen into a local fly shop a couple weeks ago and they asked me to identify it. I was stumped at first but with my microscopes and key information I was able to figure out mine was definitely rastricornis. Yours looks more like that than the pecticornis specimen in Taxon's link, but it's hard to be sure without getting it under my microscope or macro lens.

It's a little more difficult with these pictures, although for someone who professes not to know insects well you definitely did a great job providing the right kind of angles and views, much better than most. It's just not quite close-up enough to be sure of the species.

Both species are called fishflies, and their genus is closely related to the Megalopteran genus Nigronia, the dobsonflies/hellgrammites.