Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Pike fly stinger's

I've always saw pike as head smashers...This is just from my bait casting days...If I look at my rapalas and larger muskie plugs the heads are all torn up but not so much in the rear.

I fish single hook and do just fine for only one reason. It is one less hook that could end up in my hand while dealing with a large fish.

But I do have a few for "THOSE DAYS" and I twist and melt nylon covered leader material, same stuff you make spinning leaders from.

I have a theory why pike sometimes will hit the rear, I saw a thing on the discovery channel on sharks and how a lot of times the will just nip their prey out of curiosity, usually why they will attack humans. I think that might be the reason pike sometimes do this, sure there are times when they will miss their target, but if a pike wants it it will get it, plain and simple.

Another thing about pike, while ice fishing for them with sucker minnows and tip-ups. They will take the minnow and run with it, stop for a minute or so, and then run again. We don't even try to set the hook till they begin their second run, not sure if its true t I was taught that they grab the minnow run with it, stop and eat it, then go back to buisness. I'm sure that this isn't exactly what they're doing but if you set the hook on that first run you'll pop the hook out most of the time

SD's right so here is a suggestion:

One thing I have seen done for short strikers is to keep a tube fly component set.

Basically a bunch of tube flies that don't imitate anything in particular and you slip them on the leader one at a time like a conga line until you have the size that is getting the fish's attention with the hook in the rear. Can have as many as three or four tube flies for the one hook.

QUOTE (rougetrout @ Jun 9 2005, 04:28 PM)
You may have said you didn't want it to be an argument but you did state your opinion exclusively without attempting to give any merit to the other side so it was an opinion. I was providing a counter to such an opinion, because you can type " I do not want to make this into a controversy" does not mean that you, have the exlusive right to pass along your opinion on the matter.

All I can say is that I made the point in my first post because many in here know that I am not an advocate of stinger hooks. That way my opinion about single vs. treble hooks as stingers wouldn't be construed as biased.....even if I did use stinger hooks, I would use a single instead of a treble.

If I had wanted to state my opinion exclusively, I would have gone in depth like SJ and others have done. I wasn't looking for merit from the other side because that's not what this thread is about. Steve PM'd me some follow up questions that he didn't want to ask in this thread for fear of the thread turning into a debate. That was not my intention, and please don't imply that I have feelings of exclusivity on this or any matter, because I clearly don't, and you have no way of knowing what's going on in my head.

BTW Nick, I read your technique more carefully and I have to say that as far as setups for stingers, it's pretty damned good. wink.gif Reminds me of some old trolling streamers for landlocked salmon.

thumbsup.gif I'm glad you guys found the technique useful. It's just another variation of the hopper - dropper style rig...only beefier smile.gif

Cheers,

Nick

QUOTE (Dble Haul @ Jun 10 2005, 08:28 AM)
All I can say is that I made the point in my first post because many in here know that I am not an advocate of stinger hooks.  That way my opinion about single vs. treble hooks as stingers wouldn't be construed as biased.....even if I did use stinger hooks, I would use a single instead of a treble.

If I had wanted to state my opinion exclusively, I would have gone in depth like SJ and others have done.  I wasn't looking for merit from the other side because that's not what this thread is about.  Steve PM'd me some follow up questions that he didn't want to ask in this thread for fear of the thread turning into a debate.  That was not my intention, and please don't imply that I have feelings of exclusivity on this or any matter, because I clearly don't, and you have no way of knowing what's going on in my head.

First of all are you implying that you weren't being biased against stingers? I didn't see anywhere in your first post mentioning the negatives of fishing for pike with single hook flies lost fish, bad hook sets, and just as much damage can be caused to the fish, don't ride a high horse because you THINK single hook pike flies are better.. Also, You were being exclusive and reading the post was enough to confirm that indeed somebody needed to advocate stinger hooks.

If you had not replied so pointedly to my post on the merits of stinger hooks it would not have ever become an issue.

I guess if you can answer all the questions by e-mail this shouldn't even be a forum.

Alright since we cant follow the simple thing that I asked and to STICK TO THE TOPIC ON THIS ONE! then this is closed!!

For the record I contacted dble haul with a couple question because I didnt think the questions I had pertained to "how to rig" stinger hooks, they were questions that I was interested in that I felt better asked off the site.