Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Current Angler

Tungsten Bead Comparison

I've noticed a distinct difference between the sizes and densities of slotted tungsten beads from different companies labeled with the same size. For example, a 7/64" or 2.8 mm bead from one company might be noticeably smaller than that of another company. I've heard of people comparing the densities/sizes of beads from different companies using a gram scale. Has anyone done this? Or alternatively, does anyone have a favorite brand of slotted tungsten beads?

12 hours ago, Current Angler said:

I've noticed a distinct difference between the sizes and densities of slotted tungsten beads

Interesting, but not surprising, especially when you consider the huge discrepancies in hook sizing that's prevalent and accepted, as well as line and rod weight designations.    

I don't use beads often, and when I do they are brass or glass.  Probably the same with brass, though, I would imagine.   

21 hours ago, robow7 said:

I saw this youtube video on the subject of tungsten beads recently and it might give you some food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocflyEmdHKk&ab_channel=EricLeslie

This is exactly what I was looking for! So far the best I've found are Fulling Mill, so I'm a little surprised he put them so low on the list. Has anyone tried Driftstone beads?

Since they are not manufactured here as well as most hooks there is a quite a wide range in sizes and weight.I did buy one of those scales,a cheap one,and got what i payed for.Useless on the small stuff.I noticed early on that some tung beads can be easily picked up by a magnet and some just barely.I like them for deeper water and brass glass and bead chain for shallower water.I fish mostly still water and i think the tung weighted flies sink too fast at times.