Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

Favorite brand of hooks

Which of the following is your favorite brand to tye on?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use Tiemco. I lived in Japan for 10 years, 1990-2000, and started using them during that time, which is also the time I picked up flytying.

I voted Mustad for the same reason I'm never afraid of a Fenwick rod, a Titleist golf ball, or the Talon brand zipper on my pants - day in and day out the quality and availability is there. cool.gif

When I'm tying nymphs, which I am going to lose dozens of, I go with Mustad or Tiemco. Can't beat them for the price. Although I find the Tiemcos to be a significantly sharper hook. The Mustad signature series has some nice hook designs. If I'm tying speys or hairwings, I like Daiichi Alec Jacksons.

~James

I have learned! wallbash.gif NEVER buy cheap hooks! Mustad hooks always seem to get their points bent on my nymph patterns, so I'm constantly trying to sharpen

them back to shape. I'm switching to Tiemco, super hard and sharp, small

barbs easy to crimp down. Just my 2 cents. thumbsup.gif

I mainly use Mustad, mostly because of the price, but I would prefer Tiemco. I've used Targus hooks a little and they are pretty good, too.

I use Mustad. Only once did I have one straighten out. Got a nice trout that ran down stream and I tried too hard to turn him and the hook straightened out. It was a size 16 black ant. I like the hooks because they come in 100 packs at a good price.

I really like TMC. They just feel right to me.

I only use stainless for salt. Stainless does not break down in fresh water. If it breaks off in a fish, I would rather it rust away rather than be a permanent attachment.

Out of the selections that you have i had to go with Mustad but i usually buy from Allen because i have yet to have an issue with any of their hooks, they support Military and they are usually about half the price.