Fly Tying
Czob

Mt. Pleasant, MI

Welcome. I can’t help you in finding someone in Michigan. However, you can learn all the ropes you want from YouTube. Although enjoyable, at least I found tying get togethers enjoyable,  There really is no need for in person learning. Good thing too since Covid laid waste to most tying gatherings. YouTube has taken all the unknowns and mystery out of fly tying. use to be someone had to show you a technique in person but nowadays you can learn from your iPhone. What I’ll do is buy a single fly that I want to tie and use that fly as a model. Helps getting proportions down. Many really great tiers here so post a fly, ask for critiques and be prepared to get them and get better in the process. Good luck and welcome aboard. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Welcome. I can’t help you in finding someone in Michigan. However, you can learn all the ropes you want from YouTube. Although enjoyable, at least I found tying get togethers enjoyable,  There really is no need for in person learning. Good thing too since Covid laid waste to most tying gatherings. YouTube has taken all the unknowns and mystery out of fly tying. use to be someone had to show you a technique in person but nowadays you can learn from your iPhone. What I’ll do is buy a single fly that I want to tie and use that fly as a model. Helps getting proportions down. Many really great tiers here so post a fly, ask for critiques and be prepared to get them and get better in the process. Good luck and welcome aboard. 

Thanks so much for your reply! I have for  years watched Youtube video's. Have tied hundreds of flies. But when I am done. It usually doesn't look like the one in the picture! And in the video's, they make it look so easy! Well its a good thing that for a fly to sell. It only has to look good the a fly fisherman, and not the fish!

I’m not sure if Nomad Anglers still does its bugs and brews, but the Grand Rapids store isn’t a terrible drive for you. Also if you want to make the long drive saturdays at Gates lodge is fly tying for everyone, I would love to go but it’s a long drive for me. Check it out though.

Mike.

You can try a fly swap.  Mine are open and designed with the newer tyer and those that wish to improve their skills in mind.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting swaps for going on 12 years now.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like some more info.  I'll be happy to help you out.

Kim

BTW, here is a great site loaded with dry fly patterns from your state -Fly Patterns (michigandryflies.net).  Hope this helps you out.

1 minute ago, Czob said:

not really sure how to PM? 

click on member you want to private message, on top of page you will see the message envelope, click on it and the message form will appear- type your message and send when finished. If you get a reply, you will get a notification on the top right of your page click it to take you to the message you can continue your private conversation from there.

Gates lodge on the AuSable in Grayling does Saturday morning 9AM -12 fly tying. It is free and usually they have chili. It is about an hour and fifteen minutes from Mt.Pleasant. Well worth the drive. https://gateslodge.com/ Check out their events page. Old AuSable Fly Shop also does flytying and is about ten minutes closer. https://www.oldausable.com/