Fly Tying
gadabout

Sabbatus wet fly

I going for the look in Klein’s photo, with white and black being equal width and making a level surface, so to speak.

This is my first attempt, using the technique shown in the Gravel Gertie video.  Could be a little smoother, but I will work on that.  I used silk floss for the black, and rayon floss for the white, ‘cause that’s what I had on hand.  I didn’t make any attempt this time around to get a specific number of stripes. This is on a #8 hook.

62E57205-5E3C-4112-B8C5-0C298A73E4BC.jpeg

2 hours ago, mvendon said:

I'll answer that when someone lets me know where the rest of the post that I submitted went .

i apologize

i tried to do a quote and hit the edit by mistake. 

nothing intentional

but if you dont want to lets us know which one so be it

I hope that you don't mind, but here's my quick attempt on a #5 Mustad sproat wet fly hook. This is with the taper built up first. One strand of black Danvilles four strand floss tied in the rear first. One strand of Danville's four strand white floss tied in the front, that's wrapped to the rear and back to the front. You can control the width by twisting the black floss while wrapping it forward. If they were a little more tighter in width, it would have been at least 13 wraps on the black. My point is white first, then palmered with black and they look pretty flat overall after wrapping like the original picture that you're copying. My hands are super dry since it's just getting above zero here, but the dewpoint is still in negative categories and it doesn't bode well for wrapping floss hand over hand. 

The impossible to exactly copy wet fly from the Bergman book is on the same plate as this one and is about five rows down. It's the Split Ibis. Check what Don Bastian did in the Forgotten Flies book, It's not even close, but is the only way to tie it in reality.

Regards,

Mark

IMGP1518.thumb.JPG.e749ab325725275b42a4968b1ff895e7.JPG

11 minutes ago, flytire said:

i apologize

i tried to do a quote and hit the edit by mistake. 

nothing intentional

but if you dont want to lets us know which one so be it

Hi Norm,

That's OK. I was typing the above reply when you added your message...

19 minutes ago, mvendon said:

It's the Split Ibis. Check what Don Bastian did in the Forgotten Flies book, It's not even close, but is the only way to tie it in reality.

Regards,

Mark

that split ibis wing would be a challenge for sure 👍

Sabattus body.JPG

trying for 13 wraps (as shown in forgotten flies) but got too close to the eye

thank god the fish cant count

1 strand of white floss body with 1 strand of black floss ribbing

Sabattus 1080.JPG

Sabbatus

Hook - Mustad 3399, size 6

Thread - Black

Tip - Scarlet silk floss

Tail - White and black (I used grizzly)

Body - Alternate black and white floss

Hackle - Yellow

Wing - Barred wood duck, kingfisher cheeks (I used hen hackle tips dyed kingfisher)

Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Here’s the last of several attempts.  I gave up on the alternating bands approach and went back to a white floss body with black floss rib. Yes, my wing needs work.

485CDC91-E3FD-41BB-9257-AA43E4D54C2B.jpeg

20 hours ago, mvendon said:

I hope that you don't mind, but here's my quick attempt on a #5 Mustad sproat wet fly hook. This is with the taper built up first. One strand of black Danvilles four strand floss tied in the rear first. One strand of Danville's four strand white floss tied in the front, that's wrapped to the rear and back to the front. You can control the width by twisting the black floss while wrapping it forward. If they were a little more tighter in width, it would have been at least 13 wraps on the black. My point is white first, then palmered with black and they look pretty flat overall after wrapping like the original picture that you're copying. My hands are super dry since it's just getting above zero here, but the dewpoint is still in negative categories and it doesn't bode well for wrapping floss hand over hand. 

The impossible to exactly copy wet fly from the Bergman book is on the same plate as this one and is about five rows down. It's the Split Ibis. Check what Don Bastian did in the Forgotten Flies book, It's not even close, but is the only way to tie it in reality.

Regards,

Mark

IMGP1518.thumb.JPG.e749ab325725275b42a4968b1ff895e7.JPG

I think you nailed it there Mark :)

19 hours ago, flytire said:

Sabattus body.JPG

trying for 13 wraps (as shown in forgotten flies) but got too close to the eye

thank god the fish cant count

1 strand of white floss body with 1 strand of black floss ribbing

Sabattus 1080.JPG

Sabbatus

Hook - Mustad 3399, size 6

Thread - Black

Tip - Scarlet silk floss

Tail - White and black (I used grizzly)

Body - Alternate black and white floss

Hackle - Yellow

Wing - Barred wood duck, kingfisher cheeks (I used hen hackle tips dyed kingfisher)

Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

That looks great!