Fly Tying

I tie a lot of buck tails for the salt. I just use Sally Hansens. It smells when you put it on but the fish sure don't mind and the jigs themselves get destroyed by toothy critters long before the wraps come undone 

I also use sally hansens hard as nails. It does smell, I don’t know its toxicity but I know it dries. I apply it after I tie a knot and cut my thread. 

Even though I have no problem tying off by hand for flies I normally use Materelli type whip finisher and do a 3 or 4 turn finish. I draw the to about a half inch of finishing it off, then dab on a small amount of CA glue and finish drawing the knot tight. On jigs or streamers where the thread is exposed and easy to coat I use either CA on jigs or UV on streamer heads.

I was working with bucktail jigs before I started tying flies fifty years ago… and am still filling orders today… All I ever use is Krazy Glue (thin CA). - a very light coat with the tip of tube used like the tip of a paint brush… It dries up rock solid in a few minutes and will last the life of the jig (long after the hair has been chewed off).  In fact for re-tying old jigs you’ll need a new single edged razor blade to cut through the thread…. 
Go to my homepage on Instagram under lemaymiami to see pics of the different bucktail jigs I produce…

I'm whip finish challenged.  What I do is put a light coat of super glue on the thread and make three or four wraps with it.  When it dries a cut the thread and, these days, use UV resin for the head on streamers and on the wraps for jigs.  One thing I do is use clear polyester thread that I pick up in craft stores.  If you're using two colors for the streamer or jig they show through the wrap.

DSCF1218.JPG.e60559c4d22aba3c975a0f7f419ee480.JPG

1 hour ago, Philly said:

One thing I do is use clear polyester thread that I pick up in craft stores.  If you're using two colors for the streamer or jig they show through the wrap.

Nice touch

UV glue works great but lots of people including myself get an allergic reaction.  It’s hardly nontoxic.  I can’t resist using it though. Usually I give myself problems when I grab the fly before it is fully cured

44 minutes ago, rscconrad said:

UV glue works great but lots of people including myself get an allergic reaction.  It’s hardly nontoxic.  I can’t resist using it though. Usually I give myself problems when I grab the fly before it is fully cured

I'm lucky in that I'm not allergic to the stuff.  If it's touching the resin that's causing the issue have you tried using latex gloves when handling the resin.  That might help.