Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Super Dave

Smallmouth Flies

I just posted about the same question a couple days ago. A guy named Philly gave a suggestion to me i'll tell you soon but first i have to give you a couple of tips: tie it with strong thread and put alot of whip finishes on it beause after about six fish mine unravled. dry.gif sad.gif . Anyway here is pattern:

Hook: I use a TMC 101, size 10

Tail and Body: Medium Chartruese Chenille

Optional: weight with a beadhead(black)

Thread: Chartruese

Tying instructions:

After putting hook in vise,

Wrap shank with thread.

Tie in about a 2 or 3 inch piece of chenille.

Form a shank length loop at the bend and tie down.

Then wrap chenille to just behind hook eye. Tie down, trim excess and libbrally whip finish. Have fun!!!, Oh yeah... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

post-23-1119206799.jpg

The infamous Green Weenie, usually palmed off as a trout fly here in PA. That's why I never had any in my fly boxes until last year after friend gave me a couple to try for pan fish. One suggestion in tying them. After sliding on the bead head, I'll wrap the shank with thread and use a tooth pick to coat it with Zap-a-Gap. When it sets Itie in the Chenille and wrap it. With the bead head, I wrap it down and the last couple wraps I again use the toothpick to coat the thread with Z a G and then make a few more wraps. I also like to push the beadhead back to cover the threads, and again use some Z a G to hold it in place. Darn near indestructable tied that way.

For a top water pattern, can't go wrong with a Sneaky Pete. I'll use either pre shaped cork or foam bodies. For the corks, I use acrylic paint for the bodies, white for the base coat, and fluorescent yellow for the body. Black hackle, fluorescent yellow marabou cut short, and either white, black or yellow legs. On the foam bodies, I use fluorescent yellow fabric markers/paint. Coat them all with Angler's Choice Soft Body epoxy. I use 5 minute epoxy to secure them to the hook shank.

I got out on the local creek for about an hour or so this morning. Caught a baker's dozen of sunfish, from 4 to 8 inches, and four smallmouth from 5 to 9 inches, missed two nice bass, and a couple of dozen sunnies on a size 6 Sneaky Pete. I tie a few on size 10 hooks, and some up in 2 to 1/0 range.

It never fails to amaze me how well that darn fly works. What you see is pretty much what you get. Wrap down the hook, form a loop, wrap back up the hook.

thanks for the pic

heres a fly I just tied, originated from a Chuck Kraft Fly featured in the latest flytie mag, a local guide. smallies just eat em up smile.gif

user posted image

QUOTE (getholdofjoru @ Jul 6 2005, 11:41 AM)
Your nuts if you don't take a olive crystal bugger with silly legs.

huh.gif

Caught a five pounder on one in Canada

Can't really beat the Olive Wooly Bugger. I got my first smallie on the fly on that fly and it still works better than everything. I just tied up some with rubber legs so we will see how that goes...

WB