Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Is This a Silver Monkey Fur Coat? or Something Else?...

Just wondering if anyone could help me identify this fur coat....It looks like it might be silver monkey fur to me, but I'm not so knowledgeable in that arena... Much thanks in advance

1366169416_FurCoat.jpg.db77d63d4b01a07effa84870f70a18d5.jpg

Hi Chug,

The picture is a little grainy. Is it real fur ?  It seems to have a lot of underfur here and there in places. Here's a little piece that I have to compare it to.

IMGP1534.thumb.JPG.c63885bb104224dc8bdacaab0d5c2523.JPG

55 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

don't know, but it looks like it belonged to one of the Jonas Brothers.

🤣

I think Jonas Bros was an exotic animal taxidermist / furrier in Denver....

Jonas Brothers Taxidermy Co (@jonasbrotherstaxidermy) • Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/jonasbrotherstaxidermy/?hl=en

30 minutes ago, mvendon said:

picture is a little grainy. Is it real fur ?

It is real fur, I saw it earlier today and passed because I wasn't clear on what it is, but it's half price tomorrow.... The pic is fuzzy yes... The fur is very wavy and thin... I've got a little bit myself from Moshup a while back... I'll fish it out and compare tomorrow. Don't know why I didn't think of that til now...  Thanks!

This post takes me back to many years ago when polar bear was on the prohibited list - and one enterprising guy looked for and found a moth eaten old polar bear rug.... He bought it then pieced it out to anyone wanting some at a profit (I'm sure...).  A few years ago I sent a new pattern off to Umpqua hoping to pick up an additional royalty if it was accepted.  Of course it was promptly turned down - not for the pattern - but because the black bear used for the wing would make it almost impossible to export (the material) or import back into the country the finished flies... Lesson learned - the hard way... even though black bear is perfectly legal and available from many natural materials vendors here in-country... Who knew?

I hadn't even thought it might not be legal, but I suppose it might be restricted in some way. Good luck figuring that out, right!? Regardless, I went there this morning and ultimately couldn't tell what it was. Someone there who seemed to be pretty savvy about furs was sure it was fox.

🙁

Got me up early, so that's a positive I suppose. And fact is, that patch from moshup is hardly dented yet.

Tying's on hold for a little until Mardis gras is over. Gotta make my costume🙃

On 2/12/2023 at 9:03 AM, chugbug27 said:

I hadn't even thought it might not be legal, but I suppose it might be restricted in some way. Good luck figuring that out, right!? Regardless, I went there this morning and ultimately couldn't tell what it was. Someone there who seemed to be pretty savvy about furs was sure it was fox.

🙁

Got me up early, so that's a positive I suppose. And fact is, that patch from moshup is hardly dented yet.

Pics needed

On 2/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, chugbug27 said:

🙁

Hi Chug,

If it's about the right size, you could always incorporate it into your costume for Mardi gras. Sort of like what Kramer did in this episode of Seinfeld .

Regards,

Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8VBCIISd0

Ha! I never saw that episode somehow, thought I'd seen them all, and yeah, the streets are like a free hobby lobby sometimes around here. Liking that tree...

I'll post a pic, embarrassing as it will be to do that, but so far I just have bits and pieces together. Yesterday got a glue gun burn and a needle stick about an hour apart, even stone cold sober. My wife's been raiding my fly tying feathers and flash & tinsel for her hat and glasses... Her form of payback for being patient with my tying habits.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, chugbug27 said:

I'll post a pic, embarrassing as it will be to do that...

IMG_20230221_095757178.thumb.jpg.bd63b80cee75a4973df2834d39f34e5b.jpg

My wife's costume went even further, if that's possible...

6368.jpeg.ee0b2225bfd924e55e2f5279b6efaa2e.jpeg

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

IMG_20230221_095757178.thumb.jpg.bd63b80cee75a4973df2834d39f34e5b.jpg

My wife's costume went even further, if that's possible...

6368.jpeg.ee0b2225bfd924e55e2f5279b6efaa2e.jpeg

You two make a wonderful looking couple. I hope you have as much fun today as it looks like you will be having!