Fly Tying
cphubert

When big fish eat little - RETURN IN MAIL

1 hour ago, cencalfly said:

critique would be appreciated

The only change I might make would be to use wire to secure the wing vs tinsel. you could tie the tinsel then follow it with the wire over the wing ( the tinsel on the body) or eliminate the tinsel and use gold or silver wire. I have found wire to give a better wing profile on matuka's but it is your fly and your choice I will fish it either way.

So i'm at a dilemma for this swap. 

I mostly tie saltwater flies, so my common baitfish are mullet, whitebait, silversides, rain minnows, and mud minnows. But I know most of you are freshwater guys. 

So I have a "few" colors of Congo hair to pick from and since we have some time until these flies are due I figured I would get an idea of the most popular variant to go with...

So, if you could have a general baitfish imitation, what color would work best for you? I'll look at the results and go from there.

thumbnail_IMG_7697.jpg.55649201a24cf37445065c9cd33af57e.jpg

1 hour ago, Chasing_Tails said:

i'm at a dilemma

Every bass fresh or salt will eat a whitebait or silverside!

1 hour ago, fishingbobnelson said:

Dark Silhouette Minnow,

Your in Bob, was hoping your health was good and cencalfly and yourself have faired the weather this year.

35 minutes ago, cencalfly said:

snow pack in the Sierra.

The fly looks great can't wait to fish it. I remember my time at Mountain Warfare School in Bridgeport I found it hard to believe I was in the same state when I traveled from Port Hueneme.  

11 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

So i'm at a dilemma for this swap. 

I mostly tie saltwater flies, so my common baitfish are mullet, whitebait, silversides, rain minnows, and mud minnows. But I know most of you are freshwater guys. 

So I have a "few" colors of Congo hair to pick from and since we have some time until these flies are due I figured I would get an idea of the most popular variant to go with...

So, if you could have a general baitfish imitation, what color would work best for you? I'll look at the results and go from there.

So, the number 1 baitfish for so many southern lakes is shad. Next are  panfish like 'gills and crappie, the crustaceans like crayfish and hellgramites. In other words, almost any color will catch fish if thrown in the right spot at the right time but both light and dark colors will work. Mostly it's picking a design more than the color choice.

Question, are you a guide in Florida?

9 hours ago, Mudfish620 said:

Thanks for the invite!

Happy to have you with us. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me if that is better for you.

7 hours ago, vicrider said:

So, the number 1 baitfish for so many southern lakes is shad. Next are  panfish like 'gills and crappie, the crustaceans like crayfish and hellgramites. In other words, almost any color will catch fish if thrown in the right spot at the right time but both light and dark colors will work. Mostly it's picking a design more than the color choice.

Question, are you a guide in Florida?

I used to guide for kayak fishing back in the early 2000's, but then got a day job. Mostly east central Florida coast from Tomoka Basin south to the Mosquito Lagoon/Indian River area. 

Couple variations of Cypert Minnow coming your way soon.  I am using up what I have on hand as much as possible and this is an example.

DSCF7470.JPG

DSCF7471.JPG

9 hours ago, vicrider said:

Couple variations of Cypert Minnow

👍 coming my way soon ? .... woodenlegs flies aren't here yet! are you trying to beat him to the post?