Fly Tying
gadabout

What’s the deal with chenille sizing?

I just got some “fine” chenille from Hareline.  It’s the same size as “medium” in other brands.  Rant over.

Doubt there’s any kind of standard sizing in that material… I’d be asking “what brand” if trying to follow a recipe with chenille mentioned…Haven’t used chenille in some years now.  I used to use a good bit of it for bonefish flies years ago… 

sounds like a question for hareline

all of my "fine" chenille from hareline are smaller than my "medium" chenille

I try to buy mine brick and mortar as there IS lots of differences in size from brand to brand I only use ultra as you can wrap it tight and it really doesn't look like a chenille body.I like to see it in person.Have gotton some low quality buying on line . For black in the bigger size i got whole skein for a couple bucks at the craft store.very soft and dense.I use it on jigs,too big for flies unless you are tying some giant buggers or something.A skein is a whole lot of chenille.

There aren't even standards for thread or hook size.   Why would you expect one for chenille?