Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Gallant

Is Michael Radencich still out there and active?

Hi Folks... I learned a lot from the books and DVDs from Michael Radencich (http://www.radencichsalmonflies.com/ ) and was trying to buy another copy of "Tying the Classic Salmon Fly" DVD from his site a while back, and noticed they were out of stock, and the last update to his site seems to have been in 2018...

Just curious if anyone knows if he's still active in the community, or if he's retired...

I don't know at this point, but I will contact a couple of folks I know to try and learn what's happening.

Last I heard he was building model replicas of ships,? I took two classes from him back in the day which was very helpful in developing control of materials

Finally got some detailed information. But as a matter of respecting Mike's privacy, I'll leave it at that. I will say however, there are personal issues.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, SalarMan said:

Finally got some detailed information. But as a matter of respecting Mike's privacy, I'll leave it at that. I will say however, there are personal issues.

Hello, i am John Radencich, Mike's brother.  Mike is now in a nursing home, with advanced dementia.  This is something that has beern in the making the past few years, but only last February has the situation advanced enough that he can no longer live by himself.  For anyone who wants to contact him he is at Brookdale Shawnee, 11400 W. 65th St., 66203 (phone is 913-248-1500,  the community phone.)  He may or may not know who you are. For more information you can e-mail me at [email protected] or call/text at 786-218-8849.  

deleted mention of materials. selling materials requires a minimum of 20 posts and should be placed in the classified section of the forum

I feel the need to add onto what has been said here. I was aware to a certain degree of Mike's situation based information from a friend of his, but as I said before I kept that info to myself out of respect for Mike's privacy.

When I started tying Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies I got in touch with Mike. I bought all of his books directly from him and they came with very nice inscriptions and were autographed of course. I would email him with photos of my early work and ask for his thoughts. He always made time to answer and offer tips, honest critique and words of encouragement. While I never had the chance to meet him, I always felt like we were friends on a certain level. Friends of mine who had the chance to spend time with him just cannot say enough good about Mike. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

I truly wish him all the very best...and I offer my heartfelt concern to his family.

George

Very sad news, and from personal experience, it's a very difficult journey for you and your family, as well as for him. I wish you and the family all the best. I never had the opportunity to meet Mike, but I sure do know his videos, his books, and his influence on the community. He really set a very high bar in his work, and the thoroughness of his instructional works have levelled up all those that read them. 

This is such sad news. I am just now seeing this as I have been trying to contact Michael to purchase some of his flies for an artistic display I am doing. John, I hope you and the family receives all the support you need. Michael is clearly an incredible man.

Hello Community,

My name is Chris Nastav. I am Michael Radenchic's cousin.  I am helping John Radencich with Michael's personal property. 

I have the original flies that Michael tied. These are the one's he photographed and used for the books you are all mentioning. They are in a framed, foam backed, glass display case.  See attached pictures.  The yardstick will give you an idea on the dimensions.

While those in our family can appreciate the absolutely stunning craftmanship that goes into these flies, we feel that the sale of this collection would be a much more responsible benefit to Michael's ongoing care needs.

I really though have no idea though how to value this collection $, or the determine the best way to part with it.

Everyone in the family admires this collection, but we feel there would/could be someone out there that would fall in love with this collection, and it would be more relevant for them. We have tons of Michael's other artwork. He was beyond gifted and we have those for our memories.

Hoping to gather thoughts on what the value $ of this collection might be, and then who c20230803_134346.thumb.jpg.47347dae3a9d7a008437db6dd2890aa9.jpg20230803_134332.thumb.jpg.4e89444ba4a5c8fb6fc61ab0ff2d87a6.jpg20230803_134356.thumb.jpg.bf9af1f37b0ee767b008493b868e8f04.jpgould give it the best home.  Yes, we know it's priceless 🙂 as a memory 🙂

Appreciate any feedback.