Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrustySpinnr

Whitefly

I was fishing the Beaverkill last Thursday and there were a few white mayflies coming out of the water. Not being very good with types and names I was wondering if anyone could give me a roundabout idea what they were? Like I said there were not many coming out and they were about one half inch in length. One of them flew right up in front of me. I hadn't had any hits in the hour I was out so.....I switched to a Cream Hare's Ear Caddis and got one fish before bedtime. It would be nice to have a better pattern or something closer but at the time it was the closest I had. I plan on tying a few

very cream hares ears just in case. Last year I saw a few of these land on the water and then take off again. This time was different,figerred they was hatchin! dunno.gif

Crusty-

You haven't provided a lot to go on here. Do you mean 1/2" not including the tails? Were both the body and wings white? Did you notice whether they had 2 or 3 tails?

One half inch was without tails,and yes it was all white. Just an estimate as the closest I got was when one tried to fly up my nose...hey,that's what you get for wanting a closer look!

QUOTE (CrustySpinnr @ Jul 12 2005, 09:57 PM)
One half inch was without tails,and yes it was all white. Just an estimate as the closest I got was when one tried to fly up my nose...hey,that's what you get for wanting a closer look!

My guess would be a Cream Variant, Anthopotamus distinctus, formerly Potomanthus distinctus. Incidentally, here is the link to an excellent Beaverkill Hatch Chart.

Taxon's probably right again. They could be one of the obscure species of Heptageniidae that live around there, too, and aren't as well known to fly fishers.

I don't think they're the main "White Fly" hatch, the Ephorons, if they really have white wings. Ephorons have light gray wings.