Fly Tying
chugbug27

More help... With another vise part... Thank you

Ok! I'm hopeful someone can help... Again..

This time I'm dealing with an old Thomas vise that is missing the lever arm that is used to open and close the vise jaw. The lever screws into a hub, that itself screws into the vise, and I'm guessing / hoping it's a standard part I might be able to find somewhere, much like the thumbscrew / logo that y'all helped me with a short time ago.

499461855_IMG_20230316_1116548673.thumb.jpg.cbf4e63b0da58755c4019c95a950d8bc.jpg

This is a pic of what the missing part looks like, only from another such vise. (The missing lever is blackened / darkened, unlike the one pictured here). 3/16" steel rod partly threaded on one end (threads are 8-32 and are 3/8" long with an extra 1/8" non-thrraded nub on the end) (1/2" threads would do fine), knurled on the other end.

IMG_20230316_111448509.thumb.jpg.bf0a6d437739f77f96a8f6199a462c34.jpg

This is essentially what the lever / hub assembly looks like, taken out of the vise.

IMG_20230316_111613528.thumb.jpg.12b910611c21a01f83f1870620f5274e.jpg

I found this at an estate sale. It's part of a gun cleaning rod. The circled bit is similar to what I'm looking for (length, color, material), but the lever is too narrow and the threads too dense. 

45817421_IMG_20230316_1118024672.thumb.jpg.b602c72a1b5344940778e23679e5ff30.jpg

The measurements of the missing part are:

Thread - 8-32

Thread length - 3/8" to 1/2"

Total length - 3.25" (this doesn't need to be exact)

Diameter of rod - 3/16"

Any help finding this part would be fantastic, so thanks in advance for any help getting me there or in the right direction.

(Happy to send the gun cleaning rod to anyone who can use it, btw, just pm me, with first dibs obviously going to the first person with a good answer, if they want it.)

I'm speechless, thank you Mark. Can you use a gun cleaning rod? Maybe a beignet? You'll have to give me a shout if you're ever near New Orleans!

chugbug27 - As someone who has worked with Mark in the past...I can tell you with the greatest of confidence...take advantage of his offer. He is one of our true great people on this site!!!!! - George

3 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I'm speechless, thank you Mark. Can you use a gun cleaning rod? Maybe a beignet? You'll have to give me a shout if you're ever near New Orleans!

I have checked my steel supply, I have 3/16 in stainless, it won't blacken (I was going to) Is stainless OK with you?

It will definitely be used and appreciated, and truth is I may never find a blackened one... 

UH OH...I may have embarrassed Mark. All in good fun my friend...all in good fun 👍😁

Here are pics of the exact one I'm looking for, if they're any help. 

image.png.00f37bc676e15a055d0a61de60962546.png

image.png.2069969af9da53c5b15ae20122bf9246.png

image.png.8e69491f5fae9178308c421fe2ab9a4b.png

image.png.4af6c5368fe9081be95eb84410d167c9.png

I'm pretty certain it's a 8-32 thread, but I've asked the guy who sent me these pics of the real McCoy to reconfirm

Nice find there, Chug, even with the missing arm.  I've been looking for one of those style vises for a while now, but I'm too tight to pay the prices I see them going for at auction.  

Chug, you can take the female threaded hub that you have to any hardware store where they have little nut and bolt thread count finder doohickey (for lack of a better name for it). They hang at every hardware store that has a nut and bolt department. Simply try threading the hub onto the different size studs until you find the one that works. That will be size threads you need for the male end on the handle. You can start with the 8-32 to see if you are correct. If not move on to the next. 

23 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

It will definitely be used and appreciated, and truth is I may never find a blackened one... 

Stainless it is. Working on the "Trappers Fling" this weekend. That's our annual dinner and fund raiser. We will work on your part Monday.

52 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

😎

Is this the same vise that Elsie & Harry Darbee used?

That's the one, I'll post pics when I get back home

Pd, I'm in nyc for the week, so no can do til I get back.

And niveker I have been looking for a while too and found it cheap enough... I'm a bit of a bargain hunter like you. Wasn't sure when I bought it that it would be what I thought it was, but it is.