Fly Tying
gadabout

Grizzly Wulff ?

Does anyone know who originated the Grizzly Wulff pattern, and what materials were used in the original tie? 

Originator:  Henry Leon "Lee" Wulff  (February 10, 1905 – April 28, 1991), Catskills / Beaverkill River, started the catch and release dialogue with: “Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” 

American Fly Tying Manual, Dave Hughes, 1986, p22

Dry fly hook 6-16, black thread, Deer hair wing and tail, brown and grizzly hackle, yellow floss body.  

Regards,  

dan bailey

google found this

Grizzly Wulff – Rangeley Region Sports Shop (rangeleyflyshop.com)

The Grizzly Wulff is one of Dan Bailey's variations to imitate large mayflies in the Yellowstone area.

Wulff Flies (flyfishingthesierra.com)

www.flyfishersinternational.org%2FPortals%2F0%2FFlyoftheMonth%2FPreviousIssues%2F1999-04%2520April%2520-%2520Wulff%2520patterns.pdf

The Dan Bailey connection makes perfect sense . . . not every "Wulff" fly was originated by Lee.  It was basically a high floating hair-wing style. 

Yes, Dan Bailey was my guess, but I wasn’t sure.  The pattern recipe listed in flyflinger’s post is the way I’ve always tied it.  I see a lot of current recipes calling for brown Calftail for the wings.  That’s what prompted my question.

Thanks for the info!