Fly Tying
dbirish

first time post from iraq

Dan,

I don't know exactly where you're at in Iraq but on another board there's an LT in Baghdad who is setting up a small school to teach fly casting and tying. Check out the theads below and maybe if you're close you can get in on the action.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=385851

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=386220

TFO rods is sending a bunch of rods and Wapsi is sending a bunch of stuff besides all the guys on the board.

Not trying to take anything away from the folks here but just wanted him to know there are guys there that are willing to teach the sport if they're interested.

Fatman

Just a suggestion regarding shipping. Those troopers like getting mail. Sending it all in one parcel sounds ok but multi parcels may actually be more fun. Canadian tying materials and flies often get stopped from crossing into the US. THose waiting in the states to ship your stuff may be waiting for a long time for nothing. Just a suggestion...Canadians can beat the border by keeping to synthetics only. Sometimes the hackles, skins, furs and feathers get held up or stopped.

I think lots of mail is the way to go also. I was there once too.

Just packed up 3 vices, two bobbins, 2-300 different sized hooks,turkey breast, wing feathers and tail, two halves of brown and barred hackle skins, many colored deer hair patches, hair stacker,egg yarn and tool for making eggs, multi assortment of beads, razor foam, thin skin, swiss straw, rabbit dubbing, calves tail, para post, wide variety of maraboo, some jig hooks, three spoos thread, tinsel, and who knows what else. Ought to be a pretty good beginners kit.

Putting it in the mail so they will have something to start on pretty soon

Duckydoty

I'm in Canada and have sent hundreds of parcels to the States as well and almost every overseas country know. I have never had any trouble what so ever. Label them Fly Tying Supplies ... you'll be fine. No need to get into too much detail.

I do have a question though. I have my parcel ready to ship off and I am not familiar with the service addresses. Should I include USA to the bottom the address or just sent it as it is here? Thinking ... don't want to confuse Canada Post. wink.gif

Sgt. Thompson, Daniel

306th MP BN

APO AE 09342

I have my package ready to go!I put alot of different fur,flashabou,chenille,rubberlegs,assorted feathers,some hooks,and some flies i made myself in there along with a note.Does it cost anything to send a package or anything like that over seas?

Everyone like my avatar?Cant post a pic of myself so that should give you an idea hahahaha! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (zip @ Sep 13 2005, 12:11 AM)
I have my package ready to go!I put alot of different fur,flashabou,chenille,rubberlegs,assorted feathers,some hooks,and some flies i made myself in there along with a note.Does it cost anything to send a package or anything like that over seas?

Here is some info about sending mail to US Armed Forces personal overseas.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aatroopmail.htm

Canadians would have to pay for postage when sending to a US troop. US posters would have to check restrictions for free postage. Weight matters. Envelopes that look bulky will be opened...probably more than once. IF you're sending photos, tapes, videos...keep in mind the very strict Islamic codes that may exist with this sort of material. My brother and sister in law had most of their family and all wedding photos chopped up when they moved to Saudi.

Hey all;

I am in I have an extra basic vise to throw in from Michigan. I have the information on how to mail stuff over there. My daughter is there and I am retired Army. The post office have some good sized boxes that can be shipped over there for less than eight dollars a box shipping cost. The boxes are free.

Keep up the good work, keep your head down, your powder dry and watch your back trail

John

Several bags of various stuff and hooks are on there way Sgt. Johnson. Thanks for all you guys do, Teach the other guys in your unit and we'll see you on the streams when you guys get back.

Geoff

hello everybody its me sgt thompson. sorry it has been a while we have been pretty busy and our internet was down for a little while. I have a couple of my buddies over here really excited to start tying and we cant wait to get the packages. we already recieved your book al and some material from shaq. we thank you all and cant wait to get the rest of the packages so we can start tying. too bad we will have to still wait a while to see if our flies work. might be a little too risky to fish the tigris right now :) thanks again

sgt thompson and the guys at the 306th

Hey Sgt ... any other parcels making it through to you? I can't wait to see what you guys come up with over there! :)

Keep safe!

Dale

hello everyone it is sgt thompson. I cant wait to start tying. Ive recieved a bunch of materials but i still havent gotten any tools or thread. If there are any packages on the way let me know otherwise i dont mind buying this stuff. I just dont want to buy something that is already on the way. all the guys here really appreciate everything you have sent already and cant wait to start tying as well. so just let me know what is on the way and ill buy whatever else it is i need. I appreciate everything you have already done thanks. sgt thompson