Fly Tying
SullyTM

Deer Hair Tips

Good morning all...

I've only tried tying deer hair patterns on one occasion and the result was terrible. I have read several How-To's and would like some "inside" knowledge from all you hairy tiers. What is the best way to pack the deer hair before trimming? Any special tricks that aren't covered in the tying books? I'd like to get into some deer hair patterns, especially sculpin and bass patterns.

Thanks. SullyTM

There really aren't any tips that aren't already in print. In fact, I think that people tend to overcomplicate deer hair work.

Find yourself someone who knows what he or she is doing with deer hair, or find a good instructional video. The written word is a very poor way to convey what needs to be done. It needs to be seen in action in order to learn and appreciate any of the techniques.

Fla. Panfisher...I'm heading to my local fly shop today in search of a good video. You're right about making it hard when all you have to do is practice, ask questions, etc.. Since I'm an old dog still learning new tricks, I'm more than willing to go back-to-school. Thanks for the comments. thom

Sully,

Dave Whitlock has a pretty good video on deerhair. I got it at Bass Pro for $10- it's actually a 2 video set and covers several of Dave's patterns with some good tying tips.

Dave

Man sully I feel your pain. I was in your shoes untill I sat down with one of the guys at a fly shop and learned how to do it. Once I got use to the mess and the razor blades It became easy. Not to say that I ca stack in colors and get it to come out like some of the flies you see around here But I can say that I can do it now! It is easest learned with a good teacher in front of you and rember these words "Is that all you do!" because that is what I said. good luck matt

Dave, day5...Thanks. I have a sculpin pattern that I'll be tying. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Deerhair is an under-appreciated material in my opinion. Earlier this year in March while visiting family in Michigan I stopped my a fly shop in East Lansing which had a display of deerhair patterns my a local master. The bat pattern was to die for...Later. Thom

I think I am a broken record on this referal but he is very knowledgable and helpful too

He has several DVDS on deer hair

Chris Helm

Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies

7060 White Tail Court

Toledo, Ohio 43617

1-800-579-5549

SkinnyPole...Great site. It's now bookmarked.

jschmidt...I'll check it out. I have friends that live in the area. They can do some shopping for me :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the assistance. SullyTM

here is a few viedos i would check out they are by chris helm. here are there names spinning deer hair with chris helm and the next is deer hair bugs with chris helm. those to viedos you will want the next two are your choise. perfect pike pattrens with chris helm and tying hair bugs with chris helm. every thing is covered in these viedos you would want to know only thing is you will need a ton of g.s.p. or gel spun poly tying thread and double edge shaveing blade to do these bugs.

good luck and tight lines

~holy water~

good day

i have foung that if you make a reverse cone ( like a fly kead but backwards) it keeps the hair from sliding back. alsoafter you stack your first bunch of hair wrap in front of it and put zap agap at the base of your hair. as far as sculpting goes the tighter you pack it the nicer it is . i cant help u on that one

GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP GSP,

and decent quality deer hair makes a huge difference.

Oh, did I mention GSP ?? :D

Pack, pack, and pack some more. Pack that hair as tight as you can, after every spin, just pack until you can't pack it anymore.

Did I mention to pack as tight as you can.