Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

wimpy hackle

im having the hardest time with a hen cape, i picked it up in the spring, and it was great, really nice hackle.

i havnt used it for a while, it was kept in my bench, in a ziplock. so i picked it up to tie up some nymphs, selected my hackles, but when i went to tie on, the stem just breaks...on all of them, ive gone through about 20 hackles, and havnt finished 1 nymph ???, any ideas on what happened ??

Hey Brewer, try starting a little lower on the feather. I have been using some Indian Hen back with some beautiful mottled feathers and if I tie in too close to the tip, I run into problems. Also make sure you store it in a ziplock. The moisture loss can also make the feathers brittle.

disregard, new hackle pliers, if i start winding the hackle with my fingers, then apply the pliers, works every time.......i never claimed to be bright :wallbash:

All hackle can and will dry out over time. It even happens on the live birds, at the end of the summer when they are getting ready to molt you can see the feathers breaking and splitting on some birds. The smaller the stem the more of a problem it can be. Soaking is a good way to re-hydrate them but you can also steam them with a tea pot on the stove...BE CAUTIOUS! YOU CAN GET BURNED! ALWAYS WEAR OVEN MITTS OR OTHER PROTECTION WHEN STEAMING FEATHERS.

Mark