Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fly shops...what turns you off?

With the post in the other forum about what people like in a fly shop, that got me to thinking.....what do you not like in a fly shop?

I think my biggest pet peave was the same thing OSD mentioned in that other thread, I hate shops that give a false fishing report just to get people to come to the area to spend money.

What makes you want to NOT go into a certian fly shop?

Shops that claim they are a flyshop but are not in all reality.

False info( my shop has done it to me a few times, but I think they were given the false info to pass on by someone else)

rude employes.

employes who know nothing.

Not having the materials I need and not offering when I ask if they have any in the back to order some for me.

a place that tries to push something I don't need on me, a little " hey man you really could use this rod" in a joking manor is just fine and infact I like to see.

Shops that tell you that they don't stock much fly fishing stuff because there are no fly fishers around.

Self-fulfilling prophecy... Duh!

Cheers!

Gary

Shop like the one here that say in order for him to stock more fly fishing gear the market needs to prove itself before he will bring in more. Counting the cases with flies and materials on the wall it would be less then 100 pcs. but that is counting all the flies individually and they would be approx. 40- 50 pcs. .

I used to hate it when I was starting out in tying , accumulating materials, and I would go in looking for something and the shop would not have it. The thing was that They would tell me to substitute with something else. Now, normally that wouldnt sound like a big deal but the substitution would be something stupid. For instance if was looking for bucktail, and they wouldnt have it they would suggest something like calf tail. or if I was looking for some squirrel dubbing for a shaggy nymph body, they would sell me superfine. I couldnt stand that. No matter what I was looking for they would suggest something else. Kind of like when I go into menards and ask someone where something is and no matter what it is your looking for they tell you its over by hardware.

john

we"ve got one fly shop around here, and he knows it, he wont give beginners the time of day. he also gouges pricing, most fly tyers around here dont have inernet, so they cant buy online :angry:

going into shop to look at a rod and you are wanting a mid priced rod or lower priced. Say you are looking to spend less than $200 on the rod alone. But the owner keeps trying to stick that new fancy Winston or Sage in your hands. "Here take it and cast it" even thought you have told him your budget. I beleive the next time they do that to me I will take it out and bring it back in about 8 pieces you know make it a "real" multi piece rod! I could never do that but I bet that would break that habit to me atleast! :j_k:

FM

Not having one close. Any store you go into has its good and bads. Even good stores have bad sales reps. There was a sports store here that did sell fly fishing things. When I saw a certian person working there I wouldnt even go in.

My latest visit to a fly shop was a couple years ago. I went with two of my freinds, as they go to a shark fishing derby every year. The first store the owners were rude, prices were high, and it seemed like we were interupting them. We all left without buying anything and said we would never go back to that dump again.

The next one we were all greeted with a hello and how are you, I chucked a box of flies I tied on the desk and asked the owner of the shop what he thought of them. My freinds got there shark line and told me later they even got a great deal on hooks, leaders and a reel. I bought a few things and when I aproached the counter the owner shook my hand and gave me a discount and told me if I ever wanted to sell flies he would be hapy to sell them for me.

Treating the newbie differently, by trying to up-sell, or conversely-by passing off inferior materials or poor substitutes.

I hate to be ignored. I have walked into flyshops and no one said a word to me. No "hello", no "may I help you". Nothing, no sign of recognition at all. I don't go into a shop thinking that I'll just look around, I have every intention of buying something. I am an impulse buyer and have been known to blow $1,000 on the spur of the moment. But ignore me and I won't won't spend a dime even if it means driving another 50 miles to another shop.

I guess with me its pushy salesmen, i like to just browse and then if i got a question i ask, but to be followed and have everything in the store "suggested" just is pushing it too far.

But on the other hand, i also hate to be ignored from the time i enter to the time i leave.

I hate getting that guy who is just starting to tye.. and tries to hand you saddle hackle after you said you were tying dries.. but top of the list of things i hate in the shop just what TB said, being ignored. No time for me.. No time for you, cya..

I hate being ignored and being hounded by the salesperson. Say hello to me when I walk in and make eye contact with me then let me look around. If I have a question I will ask that question. Also what really pisses me off is when I'm looking for a lower priced rod or reel like for myself or my kids and when the salesperson hears what price range I'm talking about. They kinda raise up their nose at me and walk off (thats right WALK OFF) from me. Man that really burns me up. Needless to say I have NEVER been back in that flyshop.

Why don't they just say, "If you don't see what your looking for we can order it for you". If I had a Fly Shop I would order what is needed. Not expect people to substitute materials. I hate the if we don't have it you don't need it attitude they give us.

i hate being ignored first and foremost, only to have the guy push 900 dollar rods in my face and make it seem like you need a super-high priced stick to be a "true" flyfisherman.

there is one shop in particular where its feast or famine. depending on who is in there with ya, sometimes the guys would rather chit chat and talk about fishing bonefish in belize than sell me a 350 dollar reel. In those cases I have no problem saying thanks for your help and walking out and ordering through a shop i used to run and wait for one to come in.

I like the homey-feeling places, where there is a place to sit with a purveyor of goods with a smile, chit-chat, maybe tie a fly or two, and have a coffee. I hate to walk into a shop and feel uncomfortable, like you are in a china shop.... not my kinda place.