Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrustySpinnr

Steelhead flies

Since I have never fished for them before I figure this is the best place. I would like a few simple yet effective patterns for Steelhead. I will be fishing in the upstate New York area around Thanksgiving. (I live downstate)Most of my fishing is for Browns/Bows/whatevere else but we have no Steelies down here :blink: !

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would LOVE to out fish my brother inlaw for once anyhow!

John Nagy's The Steelhead Guide will tell you more than you want to know about Steelhead, I've read the book through twice. Has a ton of patterns as well.

I am from Michigan, Grand Rapids area & steelhead fish quite often.

There are many, mnay patterns that work well in my area. I take it

since you are asking for patterns that you tie your own flies ?? Besides

egg patterns I've used Springs Wiggler, Wiggle Hex & Sparrow. I have a

group of guys at my church that reqularly fish together & share patterns.

I've typed up numerous of these patterns because several of the men are

not experienced tyers & need assistance. Good luck.

Tie One On

I fish steelhead in Erie and the sucker spawn and crystal meth (esentially the same thing in sparkle ribbon). Right now I'm tying up some spring wigler and beed head nymphs for a mid Nov. trip. Its really har to type here becouse I have fly material all over my keyboard.

Black and orange is a great color for November up here. Black wooly bugger with an orange bead or chenille head to make the egg sucking leach. I like the rusher's stone with the orange estaz thorax. Have some orange eggs in size 10 and twelve and some PT nymphs in 10. and you should catch fish.

Thankz alot guys.Hopefully with any luck(and your help) I can manage a few fish. Seems like everytime

I go with my brother in law I wind up skunked! But now I am armed and dangerous.................or maybe just dangerous! :devil:

I lived in upstate NY for the past 30 years and fished all tghe NY and Lake Erie streams for steelies. Over the years themost productive flies we used were "blood-Dots" and the previously mentioned "Krystal Meth".

hed Blood-Dot is basically a scrambled egg pattern tied with three humps. In between the first and second "hump" you bury either a piece(small) of orange or red yarn and then cover it as you work forward from the hook bend. We typically tied these flies on a size 12-14 egg hook or any short 2x strong hook.

We fished them below a float(vertical nymphing) with excellent results.