Fly Tying
Radoslav Kiskinov

2005 Bulgarian National Flyfishing Championship - Devin - third round

Hi, guys,

it is me again, Radoslav Kiskinov, the Shark, writing from Bulgaria.

Firs I awant to apologize if I made a mistake posting this topic in the wrong forum, I want to ask some of the moderators to replace it if this is not her place.

Well, I was away for some time, but now I have some free time to write about our national flyfishing competition, which is made each year on some of our rivers.

This year the int the competition took part three teams - "Old Otters", which is a spinning club, "Ostrieto" and "Nikulden".

Together with some frinds of me, in the end of last year, we made a flyfishing section in the "Old Otters" spinning club, where our points were to make popular our favourite sport - the flyfishing, to teach voluntieers to tie flies and catch fish on them.

We made a team for the championship and took part in the three rounds of the competition.

Vlado Getov, Dimityr Kovchev - Chepeto, Ivan Pigov and Stanislav Mankov were the four friends of mine, who made our team for the competition. Each of them is a good flyangler, with his own maner of flyfishing, with his own stile. I was the reserve competitor, to take part if something stop some of the other guys to take part. I had to take part in the begining of the competition, but was busy and give also chance to Stanislav Mankov, who is hardly 17 years old, to compete, that is why I was happy to be their support if need.

Well in the first two rounds of the championship our team - The Old Otters, took one firs and one second place and this final round was very important to take the gold medals. We took comfort becaouse were only three teams this year, and we could surely take some kind of medal, never mind what colour is it.

The third round, for wich I am writing this post, was made in Batcha River, one of the biggest bulgarian trout mountain rivers.

Vatcha river is flowing in Rodopy Mountain and fill Anton Ivanovtsi Lake with water...

IPB Image

Anton Ivanovtsi Lake in the heart of Rodopy Mountain

The Vatcha River is very beautiful with its inaccessible banks rounded from everywhere with trees and bushes...

IPB Image

Rodopy Mountain...and Vatcha River flows through it...

IPB Image

Through our way to the river we stopped for some time, in some of the vilages on our way, to take a breacfast and made some pictures, while I was plaing on my guitar and with my friends Iwan and Vlado singing like the "Three of the tenors" :yahoo: ...

In the afternoon of the day we got to the river bank, where was going the spining fishing champ, which comes befor our flyfishing one.

There were many good bulgarian spinfishermen, who were throwing their metal swirling baits to the rainbow trout, with wich the Vatcha River was fished on.(I am sorry, I do not know the right word in english which mean to put fish in the river, I hope you understand me... <_<)

We waited to finish the spining champ, and after that my friends from the team took their places in the sections, which they chose before the competition. There were 4 sectors of the river, and in each of them there ore per one competitor of each team. Each sector has a referees, who looks the competitors to keep the rules. some of the rules were:

- to fish with hooks without barbs.

- to catch the fish with the net, and to hang it up to see the referee.

- to fish only in your place of the sector and etc.

In first sector was Ivan Pigov, the captain of our team

IPB Image

Ivan Pigov

He has very interesting tactic of streamers fishing... He took first place in his sector that day...

in sector nomber 2 was Dimitar Kovachev - Chepeto

IPB Image

Dimitar Kovachev - Chepeto

His sector was very dificult for fishing because of the many bushes everywhere around him...He was third in his sector

In the third sector was the young boy Stanislav Mankov, our favourite

IPB Image

Stanislav Mankov

He was doing very good with two nymps tactic and caugth a lot of trout that day...and he become first in his sector, and we were very happy...

In sector nomber four was Vlado Getov, he is very good with the dry flies, but taht day could not show his skills, he could not have the chance...He finished third...

IPB Image

Vlado Getov

I am sorry, I recieve a phonecall and I got to go now, I will continue the story, when I come back...

Best regrads!

Radoslav Kiskinov - the Shark

P.S. The second day of the this round was more interesting for me, because I took part in the champ, instead of Stanislav Mankov, and have some impressions to share with you...

Shark...Very nice report! And the photos of the various bodies of water remind me of some rivers and streams in Colorado and California. Looks like you had a grand time. SullyTM

Shark...Very nice report! And the photos of the various bodies of water remind me of some rivers and streams in Colorado and California. Looks like you had a grand time. SullyTM

Hi, SullyTM,

thanks for the kind words, I am happy that you like it..

I will continue now...

IPB Image

On the end of the first day we made a team party in a house of Devin town, where we were eating and drinking in the name the friendship of all of us... The food and the fire liqud that we swallowed made us very happy and the nigth ended with songs and stories of big, big trout...

On the othere day, I had to take part in the competition, and the choise of me was in first sector, where there were many fish waiting the shark to come and catch them...

IPB Image

I was in my favourite position - as high as the stones, and was trying some of my best flies

IPB Image

My best imitations of caddis larva, were killing again and on them I caught the only one wild brown trout of the competition, while the other competitors were catching only released pond rainbow trout...

I tried my leech imitation too...

IPB Image

She was tasted by two beautiful rainbows, whit no shy...

As I was casting, I saw a trout lifting up and taking flies from the surface of the stream, then I cut of the tipet with teeth and tied as quickly as I could a Elk Hair Caddis, which got me the fourth trout...

IPB Image

With that 4 trout I took the first place in that sector, taking advantage in front of my oponents who were caught one trout each.

The other guys of our team did their best, and we took the second place and the silver medals of this third round of the competition...

IPB Image

This was our second championship, because our team was very young, we made it , as I said, last year, but we were happy of our success...

Everybody was happy, taking part in the competition, saing that the flyfishing in Bulgaria is very good and progressing sport...

I wish good luck to all of you and see you soon with my last flyfishing report from Bulgaria!

P.S. The data time of the pictures are wrong, the operator was drunk all the time :baby:

Rado its always good to hear from you, your stories and pics are always extremely entertaining to read. As always the pics are beautiful :headbang:

Congrats to you and your team, sounds like you guys not only do well in the competition but also know how to have a good time with friends while doing it B)

Thanks for the good read!

SD

Rado, always good to hear from you. The pictures are beautiful as always, and it looks like all had a good time. Congrats on the silver! Quite an accomplishment.

Steve

Rado, Buddy, once again a great story and pictures, from the Shark. It looks like 2005 is a great year for you, and many congratulations are in order, including for your Doctoral scholarship in Paris. As good as this year is, I think 2006 will be even better for you.

Take care and keep in touch,

Graham

Hy, guys,

Steeldrifter (Stive), MSUICEMAN, Redleg, Carver, Graham, guys, thanks for all the kind words you said, I appreciate this.

I am very happy and because not many years ago, the flysfihing in BG was a mistery, but now is growing up and we, the bulgarian flyanglers are acting in this...

Of course, very much helps and wonderful forums like this one, FTF, where people from all parts of the world can share information about flyfsihing and everything tied with it.

Tight Lines and skillful fingers!

Best regards!