Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

mason fly tying show dec 3

This will be my first show. So I am not sure what to expect. How much time should I expect to spend there? 4hrs 8 hrs? Generaly how mush do you guys spend? I may be able to drive if there is any interest in car pooloing I can take 5 with me. Any info will be cool so I can get a plan going.

Hey day5!

Here is a website with the info on the show. mason fly tying expo And it is on sat dec. 3rd.

Now think of your lunch room at school! Maybe a hundred tables lined up in rows. A person tying on one side of the table and chairs on the other side so you can sit down and B.S. with the the person while they are tying. Not alot of venders selling at this show, but that may be different this year. Most of the material I bought was from the people tying. They have raffles and auctions. Some real nice things in both.

Now as for how long to stay. There are alot of people tying and you can move from table to table,ask questions or just watch them tie. I was there for about 3 hours last year. I have alot more questions and interest this year, so I will be there longer this year.

I spent about $60. in material and $40. in raffle tickets. I got more out of the material.

BFR

I go there to learn from the masters. There is no other place I know where you can sit down across from Chris Helms and get a lesson on spinning deer hair, then take a few steps and learn how to tie from Jeff "Bear" Andrews or Ray Schmidt or Oscar Felieu. I also get to meet some young innovative tier's and see how they use different materials in ways I haven't thought of yet.

There are usually a few booth's set up selling stuff but that's not really why I go. I usually stay there most of the day but I don't spend too much money, not that you couldn't though!! Don't forget to check out the dryfly boats by Dave McIntyre, they are great! Did I say I didn't spend much money there???

There is no other place I know where you can sit down across from Chris Helms

I was such a beginner last year!!!! I went cabela's after last year's show and was talking to the sales man in the tying area. I was telling him how I was just at fly tying expo. He ask me if I got to see Chris do any tying. I had a dumb look on my face and said "Who is chris Helm?". I didn't know who any of the tier's were, except Ridderbos!

I made up for it! I did get a chance to talk to Chris at the fly fishing expo at Macomb College. A real nice guy!

BFR

i have gone every year and it has expanded each year. it is a great show to learn from anyone and everyone. if you go to see vendors, then dont waste your time, they dont have many, and usually the products are very scarce.

i usually sit down with at a couple of friends tables to pick their brains and learn anything they havent taught me yet. then wander around to see what else i can pick up. i took my oldest son last year (he was 9) and he is already asking about it again this year. he had a ball. they had quite a few young tiers last year and he sat down and tied with them. he learned more from the kids tying then he does from me, maybe it is the attention span.

as far as how long to plan on staying. i usually spend all day from the time they open to just before they close if i miss anyone i wanted to talk to. if i get all the guys on my list checked off i will leave when they start the auction which is usually around 1 or so.

where do you live day5? if it is close to lansing, then the fly shop (mchance orvis) does free fly tying classes during the winter on saturdays. they bring in guys and show different patterns and techniques. it is quite educational at times.

Anybody want to plan a day of this? Meet somewhere for a breakfast and then venture over to the tying show. I moved to GR from the Lansing area 2 years ago, but I will be swinging by St. Johns to pick my father up and then heading out, if anyone is interested in meeting up. :dunno:

Anybody want to plan a day of this? Meet somewhere for a breakfast and then venture over to the tying show. I moved to GR from the Lansing area 2 years ago, but I will be swinging by St. Johns to pick my father up and then heading out, if anyone is interested in meeting up. :dunno:

St Johns? That explains a lot! JK. My moms side is from Ovid. Going there tomorrow for a little bird hunting.

I think a few of us were thinking about hitting the old depot restaraunt for breakfast on Saturday. It's on the north end by the antique mall. Nothing concrete yet.

Ovid?????? Hold on a second you say to me that me being from St. Johns explains alot and then proudly proclaim about having family in Ovid? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: J/K in any case the Depot sounds good, we should really try and put something concrete together, too bad it's going to be soooooooooooo cooooooooold at that time.....cause I could go for some fly tying expo tailgating. If the weather is decent that could be a plan!!!

The past two years it hasnt been that bad weather wise, three years ago we had snow. You may need some kind of permission from the fairgrounds to tailgate.

john

I don't think they'd give you a hard time if somebody brought some chili or something to eat out of the back of a vehicle. I do think the county would have an issue about open container if that was the idea. I go there now and then for the gun shows. I'm not an early riser these days due to working afternoons, so I would probably lean towards 8ish or 9ish for breakfast.

Im rideing with ridderbos He thinks that I cancan get in early with him but if breakfast or tailgating is in order Im in Ill have to steal johns ride but shhhhhhh donot tell him !!!!!! :devil: And come on guys ovid stjohns what is the defference????? :j_k: :j_k: :hyst:

I have an email out in cyberspace asking about if you can get in early with me. Of course if I could get you to tie at the show.....