Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

Most productive warmwater stream pattern?

I had a good summer fishing for smallmouth bass with a chartreuse/white crystal bugger retrieved fast and erratic. Now that fall is here I'm wondering what a good pattern and retrieve would be best. :unsure:

I fish a stream with most of the characteristics you describe. Steady flow would be the one that doesn't fit completely. It's a stocked trout stream. So in the spring my go to would be a CDC and Elk or Midge for the top a Beadhead soft hackle PT Nymph. From late May through the end of September my go to would be a Sneaky Pete style slider on top, and a minnow pattern tied with blended Mirror Image for sub surface. In the fall when the trout get active again, back to the CDC and Elk or a Midge and drop the top water stuff for bass going mainly subsurface with minnow patterns. Winter I don't fish a whole lot unless I get a day with the air temperature in the 40's. I'll fish a midge dry if I see trout feeding, other wise a BHSHPTN under a strike indicator. I might use a sinking line with a short leader and dredge a floating or neutral minnow pattern very very slowly through the deeper holes.

If I had one fly on my 5wt I would use an ant pattern my daughter came up with when she was 15. We call it Sarah's Chernobyl Ant. First time out we bagged a 18" pickerel, since then I have got calico bass, gills, and perch using this pattern. Its on a size 8 hook.

Dave

Thanks for this site!