Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peaty Mann

SON OF PAUL(McPhail)

extremely nice! The throat hackle blends very well with the IC on the cheeks! Nice also, that you have been using tinsel as "but" :) And still manage to give it no bulk!

Amazing ..

Davie,

This fly is simply elegant! I really like the throat and cheeks, especially the whispy teal! Beautiful.

Vinnie

This is another topper.Your color arrangement on the wing is superb and the overall composition is just perfect....A true master of the fully dressed.More please!!!!

Harry.

P.S. Does the name of this fly have a hidden message?

Pardon me. My eyes seemed to have popped out of my head, and it took a few minutes of scrambling to get them back in again!

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

Davie, your mastery of the fully-dressed Atlantic salmon fly can only be admired (and envied!).

John

Hi everyone,

I've got to thank you all for all your encouragement, I wouldn't be tying as much so thankyou very much for all your kind words.

All the best Davie

A beautiful fly Davie. :headbang: :headbang:

I'd like to point out the throat hackle as a "lesson" to other tyers. Visualize the throat with only the orange and violet as the throat and you can see that a very short throat does not balance the wing. Your addition to the long Teal that extends to just beyond the point balances the wing exceptionally well in my eye. The fly is perfectly balanced as it is. And you pulled it off with just a couple turns which makes the throat light and airy. Excellent

Happy Trails!

Ronn

Ronn,

I think that the throat may be bronze mallard, at least according to Davie's pattern, with Teal as the "gable" above the mallard roof. What say ye, Davie? What is the throat? If it is mallard, how did you apply it, as a beard or with a wrap?

As absolutely beautiful fly. I do agree with you Ronn, the long fibers ( what ever they are ) really do balance a lovely wing.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Ronn,

I think that the throat may be bronze mallard, at least according to Davie's pattern, with Teal as the "gable" above the mallard roof. What say ye, Davie? What is the throat? If it is mallard, how did you apply it, as a beard or with a wrap?

As absolutely beautiful fly. I do agree with you Ronn, the long fibers ( what ever they are ) really do balance a lovely wing.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Hi everyone,

Many thanks again for your kind words.

HI Stack, the throat of the fly is bronze mallard as you said with a small wrap round the throat. Like Ronn had said I compensated for the small hen hackles which suited the colours I wanted but were very short , so tying a long hackle but not a full hackle helps to keep the fly in balance.

Many thanks Davie

Hi Davie,

I am just floored by your work. Very creative as well as impressive. Your flies are some of my favorites.

Rock on,

Gar

I just got back from four days on business in Arkansas and wanted to see what everyone had been doing. I have to honestly say, my jaw dropped in awe at this fly. It has got to be one of the most perfectly tied flies i've ever seen.... certainly in the top five. The colors, use of materials, balance all come together beautifully.

I don't say such words lightly, that is one incredible fly! :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

Sign in to follow this