Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ronn Lucas

Desert Storm

I tied this fly and named it Desert Storm. Just a little tribute to the men & women in our military who fought so brilliantly in Gulf War I.

I also included a close up of the body.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

Hi Ronn,

Amazing piece of art, I'm trying to work out how big the fly is. looking at the JC it must be at least 15cms in length.

The hooks are on their way.

Great job

All the best Davie

Ronn, your flies are all great, but this one I like especially. You always use the feathers in most clever way managing to show their natural beauty! Great colours and texture on this one.

How large hooks do you use btw? And do you make them yourself?

Ronn, that is AWESOME, the desert camo color scheme is perfectly highlighted by the spots of yellow, orange and red. Which one of the peacock pheasants provided the eye?

How did you manipulate the JC in the throat to get it to drop down and then back? Maybe it's just a curve but it looks like it took some work to follow the line it does.

Royce

Thanks folks, your words mean more than you can know.

The hook is a Reinhold Noble S 9/0 with 1 1/8" length added. The fly is 4 3/4" long tip to tip.

Jussi_h I make some and make some with Ron Reinhold's help but this beautiful hook is all Ron's handiwork.

John Glad you like the close shot of the body. The front section has 8 elements in the rib while the rear one has only 6.

Kyle, this is a different fly than the one I mentioned that I botched my feather prep for the wing on. It is still in the vise. I've cooled down a bit from yesterday! :hyst:

Royce This is just the common Grey Peacock Pheasant. I bleached the body of the feather but carefully kept the bleach off of the "eye" area to preserve it's brilliance. I also bleached the JC on the throat. The JC is from the sides of the neck so they have a nice natural curve that followed the throat's feather shafts nicely.

I neglected to mention that the great lampglass bead was made by Aimee Milan. Aimee is one of my favorite bead makers.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

as usual Ronn, you've created a stunner. i also like the way you captured the colors of desert camo with this fly. it always amazes me the way you come up with these concepts. the composition is brillant and as all your flies, has that soft textured look. the forward body sectionis simply beautiful. i hope one day i can learn to manipulate tensils like you do. the work you do on these bodies has always been one of a kind and in a class all their own. great job my friend

Bud

Once again an amazing fly. I love your body work....how often do you work out?!!!!! I'm just kidding!

Your body work is absolutely stunning.

Gary

Every time I see one of your flies it takes me days to get over them, I still see the taj mahl as I walk past a resturant of the same name the colours on that dressing are the resturant its self.

I know some canadian peolpe that were there as well and they kindly suplied me with a pair of boots and a knife from that episode and your fly truly deservives a hats off to you!

Sign in to follow this