Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Learn simple egg flys

OSD,

According to an article written Steven Hutchins on MichiganTroutStreams.com the guy who has caught several Michigan Master Angler fish claims that peach colored glo-bugs are the way to go. Have you heard this pattern does well because I'm gonna tie up about 50 this weekend?

You have a couple easy ways to make these egg flies too. You can go to walmart (or any craft store) and buy the premade "eggs". Usually decoration balls. You can find some with flashabou coming out of them. Simply impale them on the hook with some glue. You're set.

You can also make them with chenille. I simply tie the chenille on, and wrap it into a body. You can actually make a nice body with them. Really easy for those not wanting to try and use globug yarn (which is easy too). I use the chenille method for my babine specials.

OSD, can you help me out here??? I tried to tie some eggs like you explained. My problem is, they all seem to end up looking like my head, a little thin on top and all kinds of fuzz on the sides. Do I need more yarn or just more practice?? wallbash.gif

Sounds to me like your not cutting your line evenly which is causing your problem, OSD is the master so I'm sure he can better figure out what your doing wrong.

Well never wrap around the yarn without crossong the hook shank

then once the egg is finished give the yarn a slite spin on the hook shank to free any traped yarn

and also put as much yarn throught the pen tip as you can (it may take a good pull with your mono line treader)

but be carefull not to brake the pen tip with to much yarn.It takes a few times to master it.

Good luck

OSD.