Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mu first fly was a WB tyed with a k-mart fly tying kit I got on sale for $4.00. I think to this day that was my cheapest fly tying purchase. Vise dyed on me after about 2 weeks and materials were POS.

My second fly was a prototype for the soldiers in Iraq for christmas last year! The flies I sent looked alot better than this one!

BFR

IPB Image

My first fly was a horribly tied leadwing coachman wet fly....I remember bringing some samples to show Eric Leiser at his old shop the Fireside Angler(I think I was ten). Eric you were so diplomatic....THANKS....otherwise I might have quit right then and there.

To quote Eric.."The angler though tired...never tires".

My first was a big black ant...

I remember because I tied it the night before the kiddie fishing derby at a lake where I used to knock carpenter ants off the dock to watch the bluegill eat them. I didn't have a fly rod yet so I just tied it to a stick and caught 78 bluegill that day...basically these fish were tame from all the bread thrown to them...but ever after I've been a fly fisherman.

Well, I hate to admit this but my first fly was tyed many years ago; it was an EHC. I choose a dry fly pattern as I wanted to see the trout actually take it but I soon discovered a chameleon surprise in this first tyed fly. My EHC was to be my first dry fly pattern that subsequently ended up being my first emerger pattern which later that same day became my first nymph. It was kind of neat watching how the Elk flared on top of the water as the hook sank though. :blink:

The fine old standby wooly bugger was the first I tied, and consequently it is the first I teach my beginner classes now.

My first fly was an elk-hair caddis. Man, it was ugly, kind of like a deformed muddler. It wasn't that long ago (about 1 year, to tell the truth), but I've learned an awful lot since then. It took me 13 hours to tie, mostly because I couldn't unwind myself from the whip-finisher. I finally had to call my wife in with a machete to cut me loose. As bad as it was, it actually managed to convince a couple brook trout no bigger than your hand that it was an honest-to-god bug! I store it front-and-center in my fly box to keep me humble.

My first was a green caddis. Green yarn peacock herls it was tough to mess up, but I have become quite accomplished at messing flies up since!!