Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tied my first fly in 1968 and used some feathers from a pillow and some of my mothers wool and thread. It wasnt any pattern but looked ok but a little shabby.......... :hyst:

It caught me my first fish on fly........a small salmon parr.............. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Mike.................. B)

Well, i started tying in pittsburgh, PA first so my first fly was a nymph. I now live in Florida, if i would have started tying down here first, i think i would have tied a clouser!

Ditto Mike...March 23, 2003. A Rick's Caddis from the L.L. Bean Beginner's Fly Tying Book. Followed by a Mickey Finn and Pheasant Tail Nymph :) Still trying to figure out the deer hair though :rolleyes: Never figured I'd fall in love with thread, hooks and feathers! Thom

I MUST brag! My first fly was a sponge spider....an ORDINARY spider you say???..NO SIR/MA'AM!!! MY spider had adjustable legs!....that's right, you could slide those babies all over the place!! Short front legs, then short back legs, legs comin' outta their ears, bellies, keesters! You NAME it! I think I tied the most versatile spider in history!................I'm gonna name it the "Flanagan Convertibe Spider". Why, even Social Security Disability couldn't deny this one.

Mike

I MUST brag! My first fly was a sponge spider....an ORDINARY spider you say???..NO SIR/MA'AM!!! MY spider had adjustable legs!....that's right, you could slide those babies all over the place!! Short front legs, then short back legs, legs comin' outta their ears, bellies, keesters! You NAME it! I think I tied the most versatile spider in history!................I'm gonna name it the "Flanagan Convertibe Spider". Why, even Social Security Disability couldn't deny this one.

Mike

That is the funniest thing i have heard today... rofl

:hyst:

My first fly was a red bucktail streamer. I still have it after almost 50 years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Well here is my first :D My attempt was to make a Pike fly and so far i think it will catch one :dunno: .

I used Deer hair for the wing, maribou for the tail, and an i don't know feather for the neck :P.

This first pic is just when i'm about done (sorry about the poor quality).

IPB Image

And this is the finished product.

IPB Image

My first was a wooly worm, brown I think. I use that pattern as a first fly when teaching the Boy Scout flyfishing merit badge. It's an easy tie, and it catches fish. Good combination for newbies. :)

Mine was a muddler minnow..A few years ago, my mother had some 60 year old friend from college or whatever come over for dinner, with his wife. he had brought somne of his Very, VERY old fly tying stuff from back in the day, and asked me if i wanted to learn how to...i said yes. turns out, all he could remember how to tie was a muddler minnow. mine looked like it was asembled by a blind, drunken monkey. but it did get me started :)

#10 Pheasant Tail Nymph

then it was a # 10 Gold Ribbed Hares Ear.

Both flies were great flies to start tying.

I was surprised that the results were so evenly divided!

Primarily do saltwater fishing. My first fly was a Crazy Charlie from an A.K. Best video. :headbang:

A yellow bluegill fly, which is the fly demonstrated to me by the guy at the flyshop who sold me the vice. Couple wraps of lead, then wind on some chenile and a couple pieces of rubber to give it life. First one looked beyond-belief bad, but they got better! That was two months or so ago.