Fly Tying
Alex C.

Caddis flys and Moths

I think moths lay eggs on land while Caddis deposit in the water, and moth caterpillars make a cocoon. But I'm not an expert.

Caddis flys and Moths, are they related somehow? Just thinking about how they have a lot of similiarities on the ride home from town and thought maybe someone here would know

OLB-

Great observation. Yes, caddisflies and moths are closely related, both believed to be descended from a common moth-like ancestor. However, moths and butterflies are even more closely related. Moths and butterflies constitute the order, Lepidoptera, which has (in excess of) 10,000 N. American species. Of those, only about 50 species are aquatic as larvae. These are the aquatic pyralid moths.

Yes, caddisflies and moths are closely related, both believed to be descended from a common moth-like ancestor.

I believe moths and caddisflies descended from Mothra, and its ancestral land is thought to be Japan. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! A Merry and Happy to all.

John

Good Day,

Taxon is correct. They are believed to have a common ancestor. Both have similar feathers such as their wing structure and texture. Both are the same down to "Order" in terms of classification.

Steelie