Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Light Keeper

Ultra Suede Tails

I have been looking over my Hareline Catalog, and wondering if any one has tied and fished patterns using those Ultrasuede Magic Tails. They look like a really great promise for fishing as you would be able to duplicate just about any baitfish. But I am wonder how they would hold up and if they are decent to tie on a hook.

Thank you for your input,

Nicholas

post-2587-1136636134_thumb.jpg

I have tied some up and they look great in the tub...lots of action. I do not have any field experience with that pattern. I have for the last few years used ultra suede for 'pork rind' trailers on craws like the Mixed Media.

IPB Image

There's some ultra deadly patterns you can make with chamois and I guess ultra-suede too. I got my lifetime supply in one shot at the auto store. It appears you can use this stuff to buff cars... imagine! I got real chamois but ultra-suede I believe is the fake stuff.

Oh btw, the stuff comes in a sheet and you have to cut the shape yourself but that's kinda in the spirit of fly tying I believe ;)

I bought a ton of ultrasuede at the local fabric store . Super cheap! I had fully planned on tying something identical to what redwings posted. Great minds.........

Great minds.........
hehe

One thing I have been experimenting with is adding a small bit of brown closed cell foam to the ultra suede claws so that when at rest they slowly float up as a craw in defensive postion. It works great in the sink, but have not yet tried it in running water. I'll keep you guys posted...

I have to ask, what is chamois? Is it the buffing cloth that you would find in the local Wal Mart or (I heard it be said, "in the autoparts store". And what kind of paint or marker would work best for coloring these tails? I am really interested in this pattern. John, have you fished your ultra suede patterns around here in Manistee area. I believe you may have said you come up this way to salmon or steelhead. Would RiverRoad Creations carry a claw cutter? Or is this one of those custom jobs? So many questions, but thanks for the input and inspiration in this area.

Nicholas

Yes, chamois cloth is what you typically use to dry your car. You can pick it up and then do a dye job to get the desired color yourself, or use ultra suede which you can buy in any number of colors at a fabric store. You can buy 'Craw Claws', I forget the company that makes them, but I just cut my own. I get the approximate size and cut them to mimic what I would use when I go out with a jig n'pig...something like the shape of a Sweet Beaver or Yum Craw Beast trailer.

Doh! Last time I was at the fabric store I bought 12 sq ft :) of vellux (it's furry foam) and completely missed the ultra suede! Thanks for the tip.

Wonderful!!! Thank you Redwing1 for the info. Watch out Fabric stores in Cadillac, cause here comes a man looking for fly tying materials. When you say, dye would you use just regular die that would be for like clothes, think it is RITES?

Nicholas

Yes, RIT. The best book that I have seen for dying your own materials is by AK Best. I do not yet own it, but have looked through it at legnth and have it on my list. He has detailed 'recipes' for colors and goes through the process step by step for different materials.