Fly Tying
timinator

Lefty's Deceiver

Can you guys explain why the Lefty's Deceiver is such a special fly? In his videos (that I've seen) he says it's the most popular fly fished around the world and it's easy to cast, but that's it.

Tim

I think Lefty Kreh was sort of a pioneer in fly fishhing the salt, that tied and invented flies that catch fish that set records. Not only does the deceiver represent a bait fish it also mimmics a lobster. in smaller sizes a cray. The wide large profile and the swimming action of the hackle tail, drives fish to strike. The way the flie is tied it only uses a few materials and is generaly foul proof. The only problem I have found with the leftys deceiver is that the hackle tails will twist on the shank over time. This can be remidied by soaking the stems, before tie in. I dont know if the deceiver is the most fished flyas a clouser is well used as well, but the deceiver is a fish catching fly.

i agree that it may not be the most used fly in the world, i can think of several others such as the wolly bugger that might give lefty's deciever a run for it's money...but no doubt it is a much used fly...

Lefty's Deceiver has the advantage of being a large profile fly, withouth the wind resistance of most such large flies. Lefty himself would tell you that it really isn't one fly per se, but a style of tying a fly....abut 6 saddle hackles tied near the bnd of the hook, with a bucktail collar. Very simply...they are effective flies. What more could you want?

Mark Delaney

A past Flytier mag had a great article on it. The key to the pattern is tying on the saddles properly. If done right the action is just awesome and I guess has lead to success imitating fishies all over the world. I guess it goes to show us, patterns with natural materials can still do it.

the best step by step I have seen is from Lefty himself in the spring 2005 Fly Tyer Mag

IPB Image

"Lefty Kreh Ties the Deceiver"

I think you can order back isssue at the web site.