Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
harleyhunter

Club Sandwich Hopper

Hey Everyone,

This is my first try at a Club Sandwich Hopper and all critisicm is wanted! I think I should have make the body segments more defined by pulling the thread harder but anything else please add.

Best Wishes,

Sam

Good looking fly Sam! The hopper will definitely actch fish as is, but as far as how you would 'normally' see it I do agree with you that the segments would be more pronounced. I also tie them with the front legs a shade longer.

Do you cut your pieces out or do you have a punch set?

Thanks for the compliments and the advice! I use a tapered Chernobyl Body puncher kit from www.riverroadcreations.com

I bought them at the Somerset show and they are great! The foam I picked up at a craft store called AC Moore for $.33 a sheet (2mm 9" x 12")

Cheers,

Sam

Their punches are great. I do not own any sets but have seen them in action many times. I want to get some of their stonefly and mayfly wing punches at some point in time.

Thanks for the kind word... you guys got me blushing.LOL

I just finished a water test and you had to see this thing. Not only does it float level but even if I dropped it on its side it leveled it self out. And the water footprints were on the money. I can't wait to fill my terrestrial box with these babies in various colors. Any opinion what will be the top 2 - 3 color combos?

Cheers,

Sam

I know it is a coldwater fly but man can I see a big bluegill coming up from the bottom and creaming that fly. I think I will have to tie a few of those.

Thanks buddy! I also heard if you tie it in the larger sizes you will get some largemouth bass really tempted!

Sam

Sam,

Do you glue the layers together or are they just tied? The reason I ask is that I fished foam cicadas on the Green River and the teeth on the big browns tore up the thread and destroyed the fly after a couple fish. After an evening with the zap-a-gap I made my flies more tooth resistant and they lasted for 10+ fish each.