Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joelst

Fly Tying As therapy

Hi everyone,

i am sitting here reading everything on this forum that i have missed in the last 6 mths. i am recuperating from a heart attack and gall bladder operation combined. on jan.9th, on my way to work i started having chest pains, couldn't breathe, and felt like i had a 100 lb salmon sitting on my chest. turned around and drove to my doctor's office, she took one look and had her nurse drive me to the hospital. nitro tabs are wonderful. they really work! found out i had 70% blockage, but they couldn't do an angioplasty because i also had a bad gall bladder with big stones and some polyps. took my gall bladder out last week. am able to sit at computer and my tying bench. go back to heart doc next week and then he can work on my ticker. in meantime am tying an hour at a time. hurts to sit there very long. good thing is my blood pressure is doing fine. doc said it's the fly tying. really relaxs me. moral of the story, tie more and avoid heart problems! keep reading about this rhea hackle stuff. trying to track some down.

i started tying in 1967 and learned to tie salmon flies by reading old books and corresponding with various tyers. need to get better so i can go out to Montana and see my youngest daughter graduate from law school May 20th. i have two other daugters, but this one is a little extra special! she spent more than half her life going to Schriner's childrens hospital here in Lex., ky. and wearing a special back brace from her butt to her neck 23 hrs a day for 10 yrs. only take it off to take a shower. sometimes at night would wake up to hear her crying because of the pain.life is a Bi _ _ _! She still has problems but has learned to make the most out of life while she can and to be thankful for what she does have.

Anyway, sorry for the sob story, but now she will have a Masters in Environmental Studies and an Environmental Law degree! The University ahs recommended her to be a Legal Assistant to the Congressman from that area(don't even know his name). I don't think i want her living in D.C. Now she wants to learn to fly fish!So!!! when I am out there in May, i am going to take her on Rock Creek.

anybody know any other small streams that would be safe for her to wade? any help will be greatly appreciated.

sorry to run on like this, but have been doing a lot of thinking and evaluating my life lately, and realize i havebeen very blessed with my wife and my girls, and i need to thank God for what i do have and have had.

fly tying and fly fishing have been a big part of my life and i have great memories of fishing with my other daughters. just want one more fishing memory in May!!

Enjopy life while you can and make the most of it, especially fly tying and fishing.!!!!!

joel stansbury

Glad to have you back with us Joel,

I've always known tying flies was good medicine! Sounds like you have a daughter to be very proud of. A fighter. Huh, it must run in the family :)

Best wishes during your recovery and tie a fly a day to keep the doctor away!

Duckydoty

it's great to have you back on board joel and keep your chin up buddy, life has many obsticles but we indure and it all happens for a reason. i think the big guy upstairs test us thruout our lives to see whos the strongest maybe. enjoy your time with your daughter and soak up every second. blessings to you and your wonderful family, stay safe and take care

Bud

welcome back joel. Been there, done that. had a quadruple bypass and a roto-rooter job on my ateries in the neck at the same time. 93% blockage on one side. Glad I went thru it all, but wouldn't want to do it again. Sent a picture of me walking the cross-michigan trail and one holding a nice brookie from a small stream to my heart guy, and thanked him for a few more seasons on the water. take care joel

Glad to hear that fly tying and fishing is a part of your relaxation and the upcoming visit with your daughter should be a good one to write down in the memories book. I sent you a note on the Rhea, Keep on tying and listening to the good old tunes.

Hope your recovery is quick and very successful. Tying flies and a daily dose or two of visiting this website can't be anything but good therapy and relaxation for a person with our daily way of life.

Recover fast and get prepared for the fishing trip with your daughter.It definitely should keep you motivated.

Have a good one from Southern Calif. at 85 degrees and sunny,

Pat carroll

You are so right about fly tying being a great source of therapy.

Last year I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and I thought that it was the end of everything for me.

Long story short, I was unable to work a standard 12 hour day due to the fatigus of my body and I had a choice to make. Should I take an early retirement or try to continue on?

We had a vacation scheduled for Alaska last year and we all were hopeing that we could still proceeed with our plans. My Dctor said that it was ok to go just go at it slow which we did.

I was at Haines, Alaska and I was overlooking the bay from the campground and everything was so peaceful, it was then that made up my mind to take the retirement when we got home, which I did.

Shortly afterwards, I resumed my fly tying efforts, it took a lot off of my mind and it gave me the joy back that I had missed for a long time. I can't tie the volume of flies like I used to but hey, I'm tying for me and my wife, not semi commercial like I had done years ago.

I hope that you keep getting stronger and that you get to enjoy the time with your family that is so precious.

I have always considered my tying to be therapy. I noticed early on that the stress of my job (corporate CFO) disappeared once I started tying. I even keep a vice in my office and just looking at it calms me down.

Welcome back Joel, we're glad to see you still alive and kicking!