Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Which way do you wrap?

Which way do you wrap?  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For wolly buggers I often tie in fine wire at the tail, palmer the hackle clockwise, then cinch it down with overwraps of wire counterclockwise.

Hmmmmmmm: Which way do I wrap?

I didn't see an option for "In my underwear, with a beer in one hand" biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Gary

ROFL... now that's a highly refined technique!

Yeah over-the-top here too, however I like the concept of cross-ribbing & never thought about it. Looking forward to trying it though smile.png

The only person I've seen who winds the thread the "opposite way" is Oliver Edwards. But then he is left handed so it does make some sense. If you look from the hook eye he is still wrapping clockwise, but the hook is facing the other way. In order to teach lefties, I taught myself to tie left handed and found this way to be better for me. (Fortunately my right hand isn't very dominant).

Cheers,

C.

Hmmmmmmm: Which way do I wrap?

I didn't see an option for "In my underwear, with a beer in one hand" biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Gary

They call that "The Dave" (my name) in my house hahaha :D

I wrap over the top like most replies. But I've tried it both ways. For me, the clincher to wrapping over the top was in tying on material. When I wrapped under and away, I couldn't really see what the material was doing as I wrapped line across it. Wrapping over the top and away, I can clearly see if the material is skewing, sliding or otherwise misbehaving. I can also use gravity to lie material, say a feather tip, into the thread and then have it stay in place as I wrap the thread up and over it.

It doesn't matter which way you wrap and long as its around the hook and materials that are wrapped are wrapped in the same direction. Counter wrapping is always done whatever direction is opposite to the thread wraps.

I agree with utyer. However, I'm right handed, but tie lefty, so most thread wraps are counter clockwise. I may wrap ribs either way depending on what they're intended to do. I'll often rib palmered hackle, like on buggers with wire or mono, and always wrap opposite of my thread wraps. Tinsel type ribs I may wrap in either direction.

I do both, considering that if you want something to stay attached to the hook we all must do both. The fact is that I tye clockwise, is there any other way? :)

Blane

I try to stay clockwise, but sometimes you just gotta go counterclockwise...and I'll catch myself doing it and quickly "make sure the feathers are secure" (get the thread going clockwise again).

Edward

i got the only under the bottom vote. Wish i could change it because after seeing all the over the top votes i decided to try . It is much easier to tye over the top than under the bottom.

I voted over the top. But sometimes a hackle wont turn right and I wrap the otherway sometimes if I'm tying from back to front I wrap opposite(don't ask I don't know either) and other times I'm confused lol

If you are looking at the hook eye down the length of the shank, i usually wrap clockwise.

But when im counterribbing, binding down a palmered hackle, or securing a herl body that i wraped clockwise, i would then wrap in a counterclockwise direction, forming an X when the rib crosses the hackle.

Same here, always works fine this way ; )