Fly Tying
ohiotuber

chenille question

:dunno:

I am real "raw" at tying. My "go-to" bluegill fly is a yellow wooly worm with grizzly hackle. Problem is finding the yellow chenille in large quantity locally. There is plenty on Ebay, however, it's cotton, rayon, acrilic chenille, etc. Is there a real difference in the materials? Materials to avoid? How do I know what size to get...most of my woolies will be on 10-12 hooks.

Thanks,

Mike

Your local fly shop has it in small, medium, large, & extra-large. Medium is fine for your size 10-12 Wooly Worms. Don't worry about the kind of material it is. It's just not a factor, althoughh cheap cotton does unravel pretty quickly. Some craft and sewing stores sell it in larger quantities, and there's always plain old yarn. Just don't use material so big in diameter that it closes the gap of the hook when it's wrapped around the shank.

Streamer

I agree with the craft store with a common color like yellow you may be able to pick up a life time supply for a few bucks. If you have no craft stores in the area the cabela suggestion is always a good 1. Of coarse cabelas is always a good answer to anything, if the place ever went under it wouldn't be my fault I can tell you that

:hyst:

Thanks for the replies folks. If ANY of you EVER need yellow/gold chenille, my email's in my profile! Since NONE of my local craft stores had yellow, I got 2 sizes on Ebay. Of course, they are 2 lb rolls, but really inexpensive. I'm waiting for the invoice as shipping will be combined...near as I can figure, probably around $15.00 for all of it. I figure I will never run out & may be able to use it to trade for hooks, etc.

Now, how many little ol' wooly worms you think I'll get off one of those rolls?? ;)

Mike