Fly Tying
zip

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?  

417 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All depends on alot of variables for me. I'm just the oppisite of most guys, seems most guys tie more in the winter than summer, but no me. I like to tie more in the spring/summer/fall when theres fishing going on, in the winter when I dont get out to fish much its hard for me to get into the mood of tying.

So winter time I might tie an hour or two a week if even that. Spring I'll spend 5-10hr a week on it, summer about 10 hrs a week on it, and fall is when I really start cranking them out. Theres times I'll spend night after night filling up the boxes for a salmon&steelhead trip.

Like many I do a bunch of tying in the winter for the coming years fishing. But this year...I have spent more time tying than in years past. Yet...I haven't filled one box with flies yet. :)

I sure have laid down some silk though! :P And spent a small fortune on hooks! :blink:

I've never been one to base my tying on the time of year it is. I've always heard people tie more in the winter than the rest of the year. Myself I tie about the same year round. Especially now that I have three kids, I don't like to leave them alone with the wife too much (they will drive her up the wall) so I have pleanty of time year round to tie. I now spend upwards around 15 to 20 hours a week tying. Some weekends more.

Ashby

Hmmm, didn't see an option for too damned many. :D

I am one of those poor fools who does this for a "living" :ripped: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

:j_k: I pity the folks who don't actually enjoy there job, most of the time i am more like .. :yahoo: :headbang: :cheers: until i stick too many hooks into my fingers that day then it is most definitely :cursing: :cursing: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Not enough recently...things have just been way too busy, and I've been working late most nights at the university. Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday I did tie quite few flies...thursday and Friday a box a nigth of bluegill flies (23 in each box) for prizes at the Red Stick Day conclave in Baton Rouge. I was an ivited demo tier for thier event and so ended up tying from 9 am to 3 pm, with a half hour lunch break. Figure I tied 80 some flies Thursday through Friday. I gave all the flies I tied at the conclave away...I've still got more flies than I'll ever be able to fish.

These days, I just haven't had much time to tie for myself. I need to get going and finish up my flies soon for the Tom Nixon swap. I just hope things slow down a little bit. I'm getting worn down at work.

Mark Delaney

Go to tying classes on Tuesday nights at Bass Pro and the 1st and 3rd monday at Backcountry Outfitters .I try to tye at least an hour a night and a couple on the weekends.

Give alot of them away at our Fly Fishing Club or on the waters I fish.

Right now being out of work I spend about 2 hours a day tying, that doesn't include the other 1-3 a day I spend reading/ researching patterns, etc

It's highly variable week to week, but I must average 2-5 hours. Wish I was fishing that much right now!

--Bill

On the average, I tie about 8-10 hours a week. Most of my tying is not out of necessity; it's simply for the sheer fun of tying.

Not much. Playing with the kids until 7:30 or so, then them to bed, then other stuff so I might get 2 hours in on a good night. And I'm still so slow that it might mean 3 flies max.

I have some boxes of flies comign to me from a guy getting out of the sport... once I see what's in there I think I'll have to come back to this forum and get some help and advice on where to focus because right now I'm kinda overwhelmed.

I only tie when I get the urge or I am getting ready to do a fishing trip. Then I know what pattern I will

most likely need, depending on where I am going. I have a lot of flies in stock, so unless somebody asks me

to tie some up for them, I don't spend a lot of time on tying. Somtimes I go months without tying. B)

Just started tying and I am spending over ten hours a week tying. After my son goes to bed and when my wife is watching TV shows I can't stand, I head to the basement and tie for a couple of hours. I find it incredibly relaxing and I think about the fish I am going to catch when the season opens.

Slacker