Fly Tying
zip

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?  

417 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you ask me, not enough...if you ask my wife, too much... :hyst:

I'll spin off 2-3 flies each day after work for a total of maybe 3 hours a week. Yes, I am a very slow tyer. The local fly fishing club does a tying night the third Wednesday of the month with a mentoring program that I will be starting in a coulple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

5-6 times a week I sit and tie for about 4-6 hours with the wife sometimes helping out with the workload for a couple hours or so.

Steve

It really depends on my needs and I put down 2-5 hours because of that.A lot of weeks I may not tie at all.Sometimes I will take on a fly order here and there then I might spend 15-20 hours that week tying.

For instance,this week is busy because i'm tying a fly order for a shop in PA and also tying flies for myself for spring fishing and tying flies for the cancer patient benifit so I actually took a couple of vacation days from work and will probably dedicate about 30 hours this week.

I spend the first half of my day in my studio turning bowls or working on sculpture. In the afternoon I pull up a chair at my tying bench and get 2 or so hours tying. When i'm working on turning or sculpture I am making large amounts of shavings and working chainsaws and big gouges and swinging a heavy mallet, noise and dust everywhere. It is a joy to go to the tying bench and work in a small field with small tools, I can hear my music too.

Since I am new at tying I spend about an hour a night but don't get very many flies tied. But I enjoy it a lot.

We should add a second criteria to that poll:

How many of you are married with children?

I think we'd see a pretty significant demographic change. Kids, family and baseball cut in to tying time big-time at my house.

My tying time goes in spurts. For a few weeks there last Nov/Dec I was tying about 2 hours each evening. I've tied maybe a dozen flies since January 1st this year...

It all depends on the season.

During the winter months when the water gets stiff, I spend a lot more time tying.

Right before opening day of trout season I tie like crazy.

Take the poll and tell us how many hours you tie a week and what you spend the most time on.

All the above... Some years I tie a lot more than others (been tying 50+ years). When I started I tied every free minute I had for a long time. Didn't watch TV or do much of anything else. When I sold flies to Alaskan fly shops I tied a lot but soon it became a task that I didn't enjoy. I quit tying over a year and slowly got back to enjoying it. I tie a lot in December through March when there is not much to do and in anticipation of fishing. April through November I spend too much time outside, fishing when possible, so tie very little. Don't have a specific time that I tie. Ed Gallop.

Hard to say I've only been at this for a little over a month, some days I might tie for a couple of hours others I might tie for more that three or for and some times not at all. On average maybe 5 hours if I had to guess.

Usally tie an hour a day and fish every weekend. Once it's light out until 10 pm I fish every day. I've been bring some tying equipment with me and tying on the fly (no pun, really) at the egde of the rivers.