Fly Tying
zip

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?  

417 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted 10-15, but this varies quite a bit. In the summer, I try to tie at least an hour a day. If the weather is bad over the weekend, I may tie 8-10 hours, or more. In the winter, I tie about 2 hours every evening and as much as 12-15 hours on weekends.

Take the poll and tell us how many hours you tie a week and what you spend the most time on.

I tell my Flytying students "if you tied one fly a day at the end of year you'd have 365 flies" :)

15 to 20 hours a week during tying season, 2 to 5 hours a week during off season :ripped:

Hummm, no wonder my wife gets upset at me - :bugeyes:

I run my own company building furniture, I have a wife and 2 children under 5. I manage about 3-4 hours a week, mostly on the weekends, or after the kids go to bed.

I try for 1 hour every night, Sometimes I can sneak in an extra hour at lunch so I would guess at about 7 to 12 hours per week.. I would love to be able to sit down and tie for a few hours every night but I doubt it will ever happen before i'm 70.. :)

Cheers,

Chris

on the wifes days off and she stars watching her weird tyra banks show, i come to my desk and tie...but i work days and she works swings so for like 5 days out of the week i have nothing to do and no one to talk to so i could tie up to 5 hours a day most days

I have been on a kick for a few months now and have been tying on average 2-3 hours a day 7 days a week. Anything from trout, to bass, to pike, to panfish. Now my focus is on fishable realistics.

I tie every night plus more on weekends just for my own enjoyment. Every other Tuesday night a bunch of us get together and tie for a couple of hours. I voted 5-8 but it could be a little more. Biggest problem: finding fly box space. Some are donated to our FF Club.

Throughout my summer vacation off of school, I spend maybe 5 on and off the vice per day. I tie a lot, I usually practice a pattern until I'm comfortable tying it, and then I tie all the patterns I need. So I tie maybe 30-35 hours a week. It's a true hobby and love of mine.

Tight Lines!

I tye way more than I get to fish. If I could fish 5-8 hours every week I would probably tye a lot more and still end up tying more than I fish. Plus I just love tying it is its own hobby in my book.

I travel 2 to 3 weeks a month, so those weeks are pretty light. I take my vise on the road and tie in the hotel, but it's probably only 5-6 hours total for the week. But when I'm home, it's anywhere between 8 and 20 hours. Just depends on what's inspiring me at the time. Add in time researching patterns, watching videos of techniques, and well, it's pretty close to an addiction.