Fly Tying
zip

How many hours a week do you spend tying?

How many hours a week do you spend tying?  

417 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

about 10-15 hours or so a week... focus depends on my mood....

saltwater flies for barramundi, mangrove jack (I think you northerners refer to them as mangrove snapper <_< ), and bream

other flies for freshwater applications chasing sooty grunter and jungle perch, and the oxeye herring (a small cousin of your atlantic tarpon)

and lately

dry flies and nymphs for my trip to Tasmania at Christmas

I usually kick my tying into gear over the summer as needed and whenever I am stuck at home for school breaks. Usually pack up the materials I need for a few patterns, watch tv and tie. Fly tying is calming and is like hitting the reset button every now and then if only for a few hours or so.

i will throw in a movie and just start cracking away. I usually get through 2 or 3 movies before I call it a day. Newly retired at age 28 :) so I have the time to do it. Have pretty much done it every day since I started in July

I spend approximately between 10-15 hrs a week.When I come home from work and I feel a little stressed out,guess where you can find me? That's right at my bench.

I spend approximately between 10-15 hrs a week.When I come home from work and I feel a little stressed out,guess where you can find me? That's right at my bench.

Welcome to FTF, post some fish or fly photos whenever you get ready...

i will throw in a movie and just start cracking away. I usually get through 2 or 3 movies before I call it a day. Newly retired at age 28 http://www.flytyingforum.com/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif so I have the time to do it. Have pretty much done it every day since I started in July

When do you fit in fly tying?

For me it depends on the mood, I spent almost a year away from the vise and now have come back to it and started tying a few hours a week, but if February I will start teaching veterans at the local VFW post how to tye, it will happen twice a month for 3 hours, so that will boost up the amount of time I will be tying. It and pandora are my keys to sanity and relaxation. Just finished a book on soft-hackles and now have a curiosity about them so will probably be tying more of them than I did in the past.

I remember when I was tying a few hours a night, and fished only once every couple months, but that was mostly for swaps, it really got me started on tying and I learned a lot during those first couple of years due to the amount of swaps that I entered. It really made me stretch into new stuff that I hadn't done before by entering swaps. I got to find out that I could really tye size 22 midges, and liked doing it, even though it is hard to see things that small, I love the challenge of trying new fly tying skills, reminds me that it is a craft and a hobby that I can learn from and will never master. There are too many things to learn that I don't think that anyone could ever master all the things that are involved with tying in a lifetime, and I really like that idea.

Blane