Fly Tying
Tennwalker41

cabelas fly tying kit and genesis fly rods

I am very new to flyfishing. I dont even have a rod yet, all i have is the desire which i have had for the last 30 years. I want to start out with a bass outfit as that is what we have here in South Carolina. I do want to buy a decent outfit to start fishing and tyin with. I might add i dont know a thing about flyfishing so any advice will b greatly appreciated. I hope to add a smaller rod i think a 4wt for bream. I bet that will b fun. Helpppppppppp anyone lol.. THanks JON

Hey TW411,I got a cabelas flytying kit not to long ago.If you buy one git the best!I got the second best and the book is shitty and doesnt have as much materials.The best one i think is called the cabelas master tying kit comes with more materials and a hell of alot better book.The vises that come with them(cabelas master vises)are good for about 3 months and then crap out.(i have gone through 2 already).I dont know much about rods except i have a whitewater 5 wgt.

Hope this helps some,best of luck tying!

I am goin to get the one they call the premium its like $175 and comes with a THompson pro viseand other tools?? Is this a good deal? R there any better places to buy tools and get better advice??

whatever you do, don't skimp on the line. Also I would stay away from "tying kits", as they tend to give a lotta stuff you might never use and isn't the best quality material. Good tying material can make a world of difference.

TW there are so many places to buy materials it isnt even funny!J Stockard fly fishing has a good amount of stuff,bass pro,local shops ect...

OK I am fairly new to all of this as well and just got through going through the steps you are going through.

First let's talk about rods. I think a 6 weight would be your best choice since you mentioned wanting to bream and bass fish. You will till get plenty of action out of a 6 weight, but it will still have quite a bit of backbone.

I have not tried the Genesis, so I really can't tell you about it. Looks like a nice rig, and it does come with what you need to get started.

I started out with a S.A. rod from Wal-mart. I have a Pfleuger(sp) reel that a buddy gave me. For me it's a great set up. I have buddies that I taught and they all have bought the S.A. combos from Wal-mart. I have used their rods and they are great combos.

The thing is right now you want an entry level rod and reel, with matching line. Basically any of the entry level combos will work. You just have to pick one and go.

OK now fly tying. The first thing I want you to do is answer a few questions:

1. What will you be fishing for mostly?

2. What are you looking to spend?

3. Is there any flies that have caught your eye?

If your talking about the genesis combo kits, I would suggest the 8 weight 2 piece. There is a lot of stuff there for the price. You should be able to start fishing right away. Real good deal, I think.

As far as the kit goes its a good deal as well, It has a few things in it that will tie bass flies, not really a lot. I dont think there is even a bass fly hook in the kit, unless you want to fish nymphs or small drys. It comes with a ceramic bobbin. If you drop this it will break and become useless. Most bobbins are cheap (a few bucks). Fly tying is a never ending quest and search for materials, tools, patterns, techniques etc. This kit is really not a bad place to start.

Hi Jon - I highly recommend the Genesis outfit. Like the above poster, I would get the 8 weight if you plan on bass fishing. I bought the 6 weight for my neighbors son and was very impressed at the quality and value for your money. I think you'll be very pleased.

As for the tying kit - I think you can do much better getting seperate items and assembling your own tying equipment. The best investment you can make on your road to getting started in fly tying is either a very good book or some lessons. I would suggest both. Although you certainly don't need lessons to learn, a good instructer will eliminate alot of the early frustrations that the beginner encounters and you will be tying effective and durable flies alot sooner than without. There are many good books out there for the beginning flytyer. You will tie some awful looking creations when you get started but they will catch fish and you'll have a smile from ear to ear I assure you! :yahoo: Best of luck - let us know how you make out. Cheers, Alec

...make sure you tye up a black woolie bugger in various sizes. A very respected fly shop owner I know who has fly fished all over the world does not go anywhere without them!

ALso, this Forum is about the best resource for the beginner and expert! Enjoy your new passion. SullyTM

Walker,

I began tying when I was about 10 or 11. I grew up in KY, so bass and panfish where primarily what I fished for. My parents purchased me a Bass Pro Bass Fly tying kit when I got started. BPS still has the Bass kit, but its not going to have nearly the amount of material you will get with the Cabelas kit. However, as Joe said, your not going to be able to tie alot of the more popular bass patterns with the Cabelas kit. Kits are great to get you started, but no kit is perfect for everyone. The BPS kit is only $49.99, so its not completely impossible for you to buy both kits. Once you get more into fly fishing, you will know what type of flies you fish most and adapt your tying to follow.

Take advantage of every possible resource you can get your hands on. Whether its a class, a video, or a book, buy it, go to it, and practice, practice, practice.

God Bless,

Ben

Would i b better off buyin a good vise and then the other tools and materials rather than the kit. I dont even know what tools r necessary and then i have to buy books or dvds to find out how to tie one. My primary fish r bass and shell crackers and big bream, yall seem em with the bug eyes and bigggggggg purple belly.. Gotta love em lol.. Is the Cabelas premium kit worth the money for the tools and instruction dvd and book or do i need to just buy them seperate if so what is a good one to buy.. Thanks JON

Here is a link to a thread, I started for just this reason

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15294.

I said that I thought you were getting a good deal because there is a lot of stuff in that kit. Like the book, DVD, tools, vice, materials. You could go cheaper with buying just a few separate tools, cheap vice ( I think you can get a real cheap one for under $10.00) and a few materials, but believe me you will go through them with trial and error. Fly Anglers Online has a great article about beginning tying. Here is the link, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/b...rs/archive.html

Here is another link to getting started,

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/lyonspress/flytying.htm

If you can, try to go to some sort of tying class, and then you will know for sure what is best for you.

Another link as well,

http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/Fly_Tying_Tips.htm

When I first started I got preached to not go and buy a kit. I was going to get the same kit you are looking at. I took the suggestions from the members on this site and I got a set of good quality tools and then got the materials for a few flies that I knew I was going to tie.

I got a Danvise rotary vice and a nice tool kit from J. Stockard's for about $100.00. This covers your basics. Now you will need materials. I like to buy assortments, because I know there will be a time that I need a color of this, and won't have it unless I buy an assortment. Then I have the colors if I ever need them and if I run low of a certain color I just replenish that color. Make sense? Right now J Stockard's has a very good sale on 3/0 Danville thread. Me being me, I would get the assortment and then I would have a good amount of thread in different colors.

There are a bunch of recipes on this site. It has a fly pattern data base that is very helpful. Just go HERE and use the search function.

For chenille, bucktails, and zonker strips I would get an assortment. Get strung saddle hackle for tying wooly boogers.

For Marabou, we have a Hancock's Fabrics that sales this stuff pretty cheap in alot of different colors. This stuff is in the fringe area of the store. They also have mylar tubing for like .96 cents a yard. Holograpic thread for half price on March the 25th. They also have a bunch of other stuff a tyer could use.

Foam sheets can be bought at Wal-mart for $4.00 for a pretty good sized pack with alot of colors in the craft area. In the sewing area they have mother of pearl colored plastic beads that are good for eyes.... .70 cents a yard. Beaded chains(the ones used for pull chains on light fixtures) are cheap and good for weight and eyes. Bungee cords are a good source for LOTS of rubber legs, but make sure you use a new one..... just cut the sleeve off. If you want colored rubber legs the dollar store has a thing called a key-ring Gooch...... should be by the checkout. Lots of rubber legs and colors for $2.00.

Bee wings are simple and easy to make. Just get some wide holographic ribbon used on Christmas gifts and a heart shaped hole punch. Just puch out a bunch of hearts, cut them in half and glue them to bee bodies made from black and yellow chenille.

There are a thousand other things that you can use for tying that are cheaper than you get at most fly shops. If I had known what I know now I would have saved alot of money, but I would have spent it on more tying supplies.

I fish alot for Bass and Bream. For bream the Bream Killer is king around here. Very simple to tie and fish. For Bass Wolly Boogers are great. Very simple to fish, just cast out and strip back to you. For Bass in the summer when the Dragonflies are flying over the pond an adult Dragonfly type fly will spank them and you will get vicious strikes. Simple to fish as well..... just cast out and let sit for a few seconds.... alot of times they will hit it right before or as soon as it hits the water. I hear Zonkers are good, but I have yet to tie one.

You might want to ask around your town and see if anyone fly fishes and ties there. When I got to asking around I found a world of fly fishermen and fly tyers just beyond my yard. Friends with some of these guys all my life and just found out alot of them fly fish and/or tie. This would be a huge help if you could get some hands on instruction. And you never know, someone might just give you everything you need to start. Awhile back I talked to a good friend and asked him about fly fishing and he had given away all of his tying and fishing gear to someone that wanted to learn. He would have gave it to me had he known I was interested.

If you need any help just ask. We will be more than glad to help out. This is a great bunch of folks here! I still would have started tying, but these folks made it easier o me. It's a great resource.

MOre questions fellas. THanks for all the help. What toools exactly do i need to get started. THey have some funny names and i dont have any idea which is which and just what is neeeded. ALso a comment was made about gettting good line, what is preferred for bass and bream. As far as materials what do i need to get and where to get them. Should i just call the J STockard people and tell em to give me everything lol. What size hooks do i need and thread and so forth. All help is greatly appreciated. Finally made mymind up about the rods and reels, gonna get an 8wt and a 4wt Cabelas Genesis combos. So i am gonna need bream hooks and flies to. Goin to get my fishin licence today so i am very excited, as i havent fished in 4 years. Thanks again JON

TW41

You will definately need a vice- Lots of people recommend the DanVise- Its a reasonably priced rotary and I think it would be a great beginer vice.

Other tools

Sharp scissors are a must

Bobbin- Holds the thread for tying to hook

Bodkin- A needle or something of that sort will work- just used for pokin and moving materials around on the hook

A hair stacker might be wanted especially if you plan on tying deer hair

A whip finisher for tying off- not needed but helpful- there are other method available to tie off

Some sort of head cement or sealer for sealing down the tied off knot

Thats the basics for tools.

You can go to a book store or library for some patterns that you want to start tying and just but the materials needed for those patterns. Buy quality materials in larger amounts that way the collection will start growing every time you want to tie a new pattern. There are plenty of patterns to chose from here with step by step tutorials that should get you going. There are also downloadable videos by Al Beaty that are great for the beginner. No need to go out and buy that just yet.

Hope this helps some

Duckydoty