Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frank G. Swarner III

Swarn-a-Bugger

I start my holidays in less than a week and I've got to get some of those tied up. They look like they'd work great out here in BC on trout.

Not too tough to tie either.

1. Put cone on hook

2. Tie in the tail wooly bugger style

3. Tie on the wire so it is on the underside of hook

4. Tie in the chenille so it is on the underside as well

5. Wrap the chenille forward but be sure to leave a small space for two turns of wire right at the base of the tail. Stop shy of the conehead to leave room for dubbing and tie chenille off and trim.

6. Select some Holographic trilobal flash and trim a little longer than the overall fly length. Melt the center strand at the rear to keep weave from unravelling.

7. Lay it on top of the fly and bind it to the hook shank with two turns of wire right at the base of the tail. Make sure to keep the holographic trilobal flash flat.

8. Continue wrapping the wire forward spiralling it over the body and holographic trilobal, kind of like a matuka. Don't worry if some of the flash is trapped. It can be picked out very, very easily.

9. Tie the flash off on top of the hook shank and tie the wire off on the bottom at the same time.

10. Pick out any trapped flash.

11. Spin some flashy red dubbing on your thread and wrap some onto the hook shank right behind the cone.

12. Select a soft hackle feather of appropriate size and tie it in by the tip and wrap like a wet fly collar.

13. Tie of the feather, trim excess and add some head cement.

Started tying & fishing this bugger variation last spring. My buddy has landed two trout 18+ on it and I have landed 4 trout that have been 18+. We're not pounding the water with it either. Needless to say it gets the smaller ones as well.

Olive and Black have been my favorite and olive has produced all of the big ones!!

Good Luck,

Chip