Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uffepuffe

I need an beetle expert....

Have been into beetles quite alot recently since I am doing some super realistic once. Yesterday when digging in my back yard I found five very interesting beetle larva and after researching I think they are Melolontha melolontha (common name Cockchaffer). But then just for fun I looked up the Stag Beetle larva and it looked exactly the same to me... as did the metalic Potosia Cuprea when I found photos of that larva.... So anyone got any tip on how to identify these once? They are about 3 cm long (a little more than an inch). I also found what looked to be two puppas of them, and I am thinking on putting them in some kind of container with the soil they were burried in to see what kind of beetle they become, good/bad idea? :dunno:

/Ulf

post-2830-1145214928_thumb.jpg

post-2830-1145214944_thumb.jpg

post-2830-1145214957_thumb.jpg

uffepuffe-

Nice photos. For terrestrial insect identification, I recommend BugGuide. They have an incredible number of insect photos, all organized taxonomically, so you can compare your specimen to their photos. You can also post your photos in the ID Request section, but before doing so, you will need to get an account (free).

Thank you Taxon, it's just that you can only submit bugs caught in the US or Canda at BugGuide, and since I live in sweden... I have just ordered myself a book containing all swedish beetles and how to identify them, hopefully that will help me with these. I'll let you know what i find out.

/Ulf

From the looks and size, and the fact that you dug them in your yard. They look just like our June Bug larva here in Iowa. Not sure what the scientific name is.