Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Bead to hook size ???

On 2/6/2007 at 7:29 PM, Slacker said:

I always forget the answer to this question regarding bead heads ......

The big hole goes towards the eye of the hook right......... :blink:

A little tying hint.  Sometimes the bead may slip on the finished fly.  To correct this wrap a couple wraps of "lead" wire on the hook and slip it into the wide end of the bead.  This will lock the bead in place every time.

I usually don't like to add extra weight to a bead head fly.  What I do is after I slide the bead on the hook.  I start my thread wraps on the shank up to the bead head.  I move the bead head back a little bit from the eye then bring the thread over the bead head make a couple of wraps in front of it and bring back over the bead head.  Tie the fly and when I get to the bead head, I wrap down the thorax/collar, bring the thread over the bead head and build a small head in front of.  The bead's not going to move.  It easier to whip finish or in my case, half hitch it.

P6280643 (4).JPG

ill bet there are weight charts online. do a search for "weight of fly tying beads". bookmark the results

Since I warmwater fish I usually tie patterns with two or three diffrent bead sizes on each hook size. Give me different fall rates.  

MY 2 cents worth.

Rick